I have a 17 month old that I am weaning. Pregnant with child # 2 and having trouble getting rid of night time nursing. Any suggestions?

I have 17 month old who still nurses before nap and before bed. She has never taken a bottle. She started drinking from a sippy cup at 5 months and has refused a bottle since birth, she also hates milk of any kind (I have even tried chocolate with out telling my pediatrician). I am trying to wean her. We normally read stories and nurse then I put her to bed. When I tell her we are not going to nurse she cries and doesn't want stories. Should I just put her down in her crib crying? Should I still try to rock and finish the story and then put her down? I hate hearing her cry but maybe I need to buck up and let her cry it out a little. What has everybody else done to stop the night-time nursing? Any hints would be helpful.

Sumow

Asked by Sumow at 12:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At the time my first was 15 mo old and still night time nursing and I was pregnant. I started cutting out a minute each night while nursing and substituting cuddling. That's all he really wanted anyway was snuggles before bed because it was just comfort nursing at that point. At the time he was nursing for like 10 min so it took a little bit but it worked for us! Anytime he tried to go back to the boob, I just told him no and gave him hugs, etc. We used the snuggling time (still do actually) to talk about our day, what we're doing tomorrow, whatever.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 8:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• stuff her before bed with lots of food she will get tired
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Put DAD in charge of bedtime. Dad can't nurse!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I agree with seeing if dad will take charge of bed time
    Missy_Dye

Answer by Missy_Dye at 8:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I was 5 months pregnant with baby #2 when I weaned my 15 month old DD. I dropped one feeding a day until all that was left was the bedtime feeding. I did her normal routine, reading books while she sat in my lap, and then instead of nursing her I just put her in bed. The first night wasn't too bed, less than 15 minutes of crying and it was more like fussing than bad crying. The second night was the bad one. I did Ferber where I did routine checks until she went to sleep. It took about an hour. By the 3rd night she was weaned. I did (and she's almost 3 and still do) put a nonleaking sippy cup of water in her crib. We can hear her drink water a few times a night.

My opinion is to keep everything about bedtime the exact same, just drop the nursing. Any other changes might confuse her.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• All changes in bedtime routine are done by dad in our house.

I just want to add that it is not necessary to wean while pregnant. The book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" has a lot on this topic.

I nursed my (then) 17mo all through my second pregnancy, though by 8months we stopped night nursing because I could not sleep with him in the bed.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2009