Sick and Breastfeeding??

I posted a question earlier asking if it was okay to take Tylenol cough/sore throat, but then I got to thinking about something else. I have had a sore throat since Friday morning when I woke up. It has gotten worse over the weekend and I have gotten a runny nose and pretty deep cough to go along with it. I am going to the DR in the morning, but I was wondering if being sick can harm my 2 month old from breastfeeding? I have tried not to be around her too much(of course I have to sometimes lol) but I am worried about 1-getting her sick by just being near her, and 2-her getting sick through my milk. Is it even possible for this? Thanks ladies =)

MadisonsMom0408

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes you can nurse when you are sick! You can nurse even if you are vomiting, I think the only time you cant is if you have cancer or something like that. Now you do have to be careful for certain meds still tho. It give the baby the antibodies to help fight the sickness if the do get it. Keep on nursing mama! And by the way Tylenol is ok to use while you are breastfeeding. You can pm me if you want there are some groups that are really great at helping you out with this stuff. There is even one that will let you know if you can take certain meds or not. Anyway send me a message if you are interested and I will give you the links to them,
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 1:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• BFing is ok, but you should only take regular tylenol. The medicines in the cough/sore throat can pass to your baby through the bfing. Unless your doc says it's ok you shouldn't take any medication. Atleast that's what my doc told me. I hope you feel better soon!
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 1:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• She may catch whatever you have but since you are breastfeeding it is unlikely. breastfeeding is the best way to protect her from getting sick. You're body makes antibodies when you get sick, and those antibodies are passed to her through your milk, so she gets added protection for just in case, you know?
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Actually, breastfeeding her while sick is one of the best things you can do for her! Your kids will likely catch anything you do, by nursing her, you're giving her the extra antibodies she needs to fight the infection, and even possibly preventing her from getting it as severely. Keep on keeping on, mama.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 3:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2009