is 12 too young to have a cell phone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think its too young if it for emergencies and you control the minutes etc. If you have some ground rules I think it can work!!
    Diana44

Answer by Diana44 at 1:39 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• 12 is way to young. In my opinion, children shouldn't get cellphones until they start driving (in case of an accident or emergency).

If you're really concerned about emergency situations, I'd recommend getting one of those cellphones that only dials three numbers and does not allow text messaging. Explain that the cellphone is for contacting you and for emergencies only. If she wants to talk to her friends, she can use the home phone.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• no its not too young to have a cell phone. until we moved overseas all my kids had their own cell phones and they are 9,10, and 16 but they will all get phones again in about a month.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yep. There is no reason for a 12 year old to have one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yes, why does a 12 year old need a cell phone?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yes, way to young. A 12 year old will think its cool to have one and 99% of the time won't use it like its suppose to. You will know where he/she is at this age at all times.In a couple of years when he/she is older, get him/her the kind that is pay as you go and let him work for it.I did that with my daughter and it worked☺You don't work for it, you don't get minutes.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• It depends. If he spends time away from the house a lot, it's not too young. 12 year olds ride their bikes, go to friends houses, etc. If you think he should have one, its not too young. We got one for my 12 year old a few months before his last bday. He wanted one soooo bad because all the other kids had one, and to be honest, I was tired of not being able to get in touch with him when he was out and about.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If she needs one, then yes. When our daughter turned 12, we cancelled our landline and added her on to our plan (for a lot less than our monthly landline bill). She travels an hour each way to school, and her cell phones give us peace of mind.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I think it depends on the situation. If my 12 yr old went to the mall or movies with friends etc. I think it is an excelent safety feature to have a cell phone. Now if this cell phone becomes a texting frenzy then I would pull it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:53 AM on Jun. 22, 2009