my 5 yrs old son; joseph will be going to kindergarden next yr for the 1st time; but it's my 1st time also! HELP???

joseph has adhd/add and i'm afraid they're not going to want him because of him being soooooo hyper. he's very intelligent for his age; (he has his own computer and puts 50 piece puzzles together with no problem for god sakes!) i just keep thinking that no matter how smart he is; HE'S STILL HYPER...

if you can... please help!!!

daddysangel

Asked by daddysangel at 1:39 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ive never been in yoru position, so i dont really have any experience. But im sure they've dealt with other kids that also have adhd, so they will have experience. and even if he is hyper, im syre hes still sweet. Hyper does not necesarily mean tht your son is a horrible child, or mean or naughty or evil. Im sure there have been much worse. My oldest startes preschool in the fall and Im having a hard enough time worrying about him doing that, idk what ill be liek with kindergarden!....good luck
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Does he have an IEP? If he doesnt, you may want to get in touch with his school right now and let them know you'll be needing to set up an appointment for that as soon as school starts. And DONT let them push you around. Only YOU know what is best for your child. GL
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If he has that diagnosis, he should have an IEP. There's no "they don't want him" in the equation. They have to, by law, follow his IEP.

If he doesn't have one, then you need to contact the special education department and get the ball rolling for that NOW.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• The others have said what I was going to. Don't be intimidated. They have to by law give you an IEP. If you have any documentation of his diagnosis bring it with you to the meeting. Start the process now, it takes a while to get everything done. By law they have 50 days before they have to start the process. Also, think about what types of things can be done to help him. Is he medicated? Would that help? He may go on another type of plan called a 504 plan. That is for kids that don't need things like speech, occupational therapy or adaptive pe. They just need adaptations to their classroom environment. Anyway, if you have more questions feel free to pm me. I have three daughters. One is on a 504 and the twins are in special ed. on an IEP.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Summer is a great time to work on non-chemical solutions to ADD/ADHD. There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If your son went to preschool, he has probably learned alot about how to listen to group directions, follow classroom routines and rules, and how to sit for short amounts of time. However, Kindergarten is a big step up from prek in the amount of time he will be expected to sit and listen and the focus on academics is tremendously increased. Have you figured out ways to help him attend to tasks for longer amounts of time? Does he need to sit in a certain place in the classroom to help him be less distracted? Does he need reminders to help him complete his work? If he does need any changes or accomadations made to his day, he may need an IEP or a 504 plan. If he has a diagnosis of ADD/ADHD from a medical doctor, in our state, he could have a 504 plan or an IEP under the label "Other Health Impaired". The IEP is more involved and in depth. The 504 allows you to state any accomadations that need to be made for him (cont)
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• to be successful. Preference of seating, teacher checking to see if he understood or heard group directions, I know you don't probably want to look at medication yet because of his age, but do keep it in mind. If his attention and focus are severely affected, getting the right medication, dosage, and working with the teacher can make a tremendous difference! Of course, you may not have wanted to do any of this and just let him begin Kindergarten and "see how he does." You know your child better than anyone and what he can handle. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• thank you to everyone!!! unfortunately; it runs on my husbands side of the family. his mother has it, my husband and 2 of his brothers have it, and his 2 other boys have it. and yes; over all he's a very good kid. no, he didn't go to preschool because he knows everything that's in the class. he most likely would've gotten bored. i don't know what IEP or 504 is; but i'll definately look into that! he's also not really used to being around alot of kids; i know that doesn't help either. i don't let people push around and telling me what to do; ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO MY KIDS! i'll mention to my husband about diet change. yea; he does have a real hard time sitting for a long period of time! i'll be reading him a book and he'll go off doing somethingelse. yet; if i stop he'll come to listen for a couple more minutes... (yes; distracted IS the word.)

i WON'T even have the thought of medication in my head.
    daddysangel

Answer by daddysangel at 11:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2009