How do I get my 16 month old to walk?

My son will be 17 months soon, and he isn't walking yet. Now he has "walked" ,by taking those few 3-4 steps. So I know there is nothing wrong with his legs, and He can stand by himself. But it just seems he refuses to do it. Even when we try to make him stand to walk, he won't do it. He will stand and then sit on his butt. I'm pregnant with baby # 4 so its kind of hard to bend over and pick him up to stand, and get him to walk. Cause well like I said he will either think I'm playing Johnny Jump up with him and he starts bouncing and giggling, or he will just get pissed off and starts to crawl away as fast as he can. I need some advice or some pointers from others who may have gone through this. Thanks ladies.

Sarah2116

Asked by Sarah2116 at 1:44 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hold something up above his head while he's standing and kind of lure him away with it.. he might follow. i know it sounds kind of mean/weird but it could work.. or it might piss him off. you have to be very persistent in practicing every day. stand him up and have him walk from you to a family member and make it the most exciting, fun experience for him. lots of praise! LOTS!.. good luck. he'll walk in time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yeah we've tried that but he is insistant on crawling. Little stinker. I'm already 22 weeks pregnant, and I have 2 other children as well, so its hard to get down with him all the time.Those pregnant bellies seem to do that, haha. I keep trying everyday, I think he will get it, he just seems to prefer crawling.
    Sarah2116

Answer by Sarah2116 at 2:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Hi! My baby is 15 mos old and worried also that he do only few steps. Try to massage his knees with a baby oil every morning on a circular motion.
    Donna2778

Answer by Donna2778 at 4:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My son is almost 15 months old and he does the exact same thing. I'm gonna give him a few more weeks. If he isn't walking by then I'm gonna ask his pediatrician. But some babies just take their sweet time. My daughter walked at 10 months then stopped and started back at 12 months. But if there is nothing wrong with his legs then I'd say to just keep working with him. That's what I'm doing with my son.

Princess02266

Answer by Princess02266 at 5:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Have you noticed that the other 2 kids hold him alot? Or do you or daddy or babysitter? My daughter started walking at 13 months, but only after being in day care and watching the other kids. I think they just need motivation and if they have someone else willing to cator to them and hold them or bring them things, why should they bother to walk? Encourage everyone to leave him alone and not bring him anything so he has to work harder to get what he wants. Offer push toys and put toys up high so he has to stand to grab them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Definitely the push toy that Anon 8:02 am suggested. Our FS walked early, but he liked using those push-cars to get around fast, and after a while of being upright, just let go one day! With another friend of mine, he was 14 mos and we really worked on it the last month. He did get held a lot and didn't get much practice, but we made a game of it, LOTS of clapping & squealing praise!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My DD didn't walk until 15.5 months old. Be sure you aren't holding him too much or putting him in swings, jumpers, exersaucers, etc. Don't try to push or encourage walking, just provide plenty of opportunities for him to do it on his own.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my oldest didnt walk until he was 15 to 16 month n he held his hand and walked with him n he used a toy car thing to help him walk my son had alot of problems as well my baby walk after his 1 st birthday good luck hope he will start walking maybe get him a cart n a walking toy so he can hold on to
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my son walked at 10 months, I didn't realize that walking until 14-17 months was "normal" wow- I got lucky!

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 9:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Well my girls are only 5 and 3, so they are not strong enough to hold or pick up my son. I don't really pick him up or hold him, and he has the push cart things, yeah he walks around great with those. I just think he is being a stinky boy. Like I said his legs are fine, I just think he feels he will do it when he wants too. i'll keep practicing with him, he may do it before I know it. That alwasy seems to be the case isn't. You worry about a problem and then like clock work they start doing whatever it is you want them to do or not to do.
    Sarah2116

Answer by Sarah2116 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2009