• In the Spotlight:

WTF is wrong with some people?!

Why is it some people have no manners, respect, patience, or a shread of decency in them any more. I work part time at a gas station. It's a new job for me (after 9 months of being medically unable) Still in lot of pain and all but that's another post..I had a line during a rush and this A@@ is too danm impatient to wait his turn in line so he throws money on the counter on a newspaper {all wadded up) and starts walkin gout the door with 2 16 oz. 6 packs of Icehouse Beer. Well it's law it has to be bagged and ID HAS to be checked I hollered for him to stop and wait in line. He walks out. I called the police and turned it in and they seemed annoyed cause he had left money that's not the point he was YOUNG looking and I hadn't gotten the opportunity to follow the law and card him or bag the beer. WTH could be so important he had to run out like that??? Am I overreacting or rightfully stressed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• We have very good detailed camera systems and I can BE VERY loud when p@ssed which I was ... and was told I made my self VERY clear to the offending customer and that my company would hold me in no way liable for his attitude and actions. That I completely protected my self by reporting it even if it was an annoyance to the cops. Tomorrow is my first day back as my hubby had surgery to remove his gallbladder the day after this all happened.. Im nervous and worried...
    Anonymous

• OP here try not to bash too much if you can as I am trying to overcome my disabilities and help provide for my family I jst don't like the stress ( but it's what im educated in) and Im needing to vent and feel understood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I'd be pissed to. If he was underage, that'd be a perfect way to get away with buying beer.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:15 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I used to work in that same industry and used to get those idiots. Some people just feel more entitled than the rest of us. If it happens again just take a deep breath and remember, not everyone is like that. Kudos to you for going back to work.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 2:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• That's why I hate people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Op again.. I called my manager and she assured me I done the right think cause otherwise had I NOT called it in even with the money. Due to the Dram Shop laws (sp) I could have been charged with an underage sale (if he is indeed underage) and with contributing had he had an accident and hurt some one and I would have lost my job and my TABC certification and could have done jail time. And even though the responding officers seemed annoyed that I had protected myself more than anything and if it was to happen again to do it again the way i did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• This is why I don't want to get a job! I really want to make some extra money so I can feel like I contribute(we don't need the money) to my relationship. But it's stories like these and I also have a few of my own, that make me second guess a job. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE GENERAL PUBLIC! They walk into places like they think they are something. I also feel like they treat cashiers like shit, because that's how they are treated by their boss!
    Anyway, just laugh them dumbasses off. I know it's easier said than done, but really they are morons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• You absolutely did the right thing. Your mistake is in letting a total stranger upset you like this. Life is too short...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• When you work with the public, you are going to face occasional jerkwads like this. Don't let it sour your outlook. The vast majority of people are not like that. I worked at a gas station about 15 years ago (lol! Am I that old?) and it was one of the best jobs that I had. When you work at a gas station, you tend to get the same customers coming in every day for coffee, cigs, etc. Talk to them, say Hi, make conversation. It makes your job so much easier and more fulfilling to see your buddies walk in the door and greet you.

BTW< congrats on getting better enough to go back to work. It sucks to be in pain, but still have to work, but it's awesome to feel better enough to start acting like a normal person again. Been there.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 8:30 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Some of those people are why I'm transitioning to my work at home jobs income.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2009