As a Pagan, have you faced discrimination?

At work?
Through the justice system?
Family court?
Others?

Just curious.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 2:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I lost my best friend of over 20 years because she just couldn't deal with the fact that I had "become one of those Devil-worshipping Pagans". Well it hurt, but life goes on.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I had a bible thrown at my door when my neighbors found out. Its rather obvious but bc I live in an apartment complex I will never know who exactly did do it. I have people who have been rather hostile about it, but sadly the most discrimination I have had has come from my family. My motehr used to steal my tools and altar things and burn them, and when I was visiting my other mother she nearly kicked me and my two infants on the street bc I purchased a rare deck (gypsy deck from the 1940s TOTALLY intact) and mailed it home and she didnt approve.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My sons have had parents tell their children not to play with them because we are Pagans. One of my sons friends whose parents were open hearted told us that one.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• At work. In an environment so bigoted there was no way to put an end to it. The HR person had a scrolling Jesus screen saver. It was pretty much the text book example of "hostile work environment"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• No one at work knows because I KNOW I will catch hell....no pun intended.

Haven't has any issues with the court system because I haven't had to be involved in the courts.

Bryce starts public school next year so ask me how that is going come November.

As far as family, those who matter know....I have several family members on both sides that would take issue if they knew but these are people that I do not associate with for other reasons so I never saw a need to tell them.

I have had a few friends try to convert/save me but they all backed off once they realized I am non-convert-able (is that even a word).  LOL  I have lost some friends but if they can't respect my beliefs and the fact that knowing my beliefs doesn't make me a different person then they are not worth my time.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:34 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Oh, yes!

I was with my old company for 7 years. When I turned 18 and moved out I was finally able to start wearing a pentagram. I wore it to work, not seeing why there would be an issue, and was told my numerous customers that I needed to go to church. One even complained to management that he was afraid to eat there if they would alow evil people to handle his food. My manager informed me that I was no longger alowed to wear it. When I fought it on the idea that everyone else was permited to wear their crosses I was told that the company reserves the right to judge all jewelry on a peice by peice basis and they found mine to be inappropriate, not the others. I then recieved a warning of termination if I continued to wear the necklace or fight the matter.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I've been spat on, spat at, had people cross the street to avoid me, pull their children closer to avoid me.

I've had chick tracts stuffed in my car windows, into my front door, into my kids' trick or treat bags.

I've been threatened with CPS by other school parents, told I'm going to Hell in front of my children, told I plan to sacrifice my children to my "demon master", and had it suggested that my children should be taken away to be raised by "good Christian parents" (their words, not mine) because I was too morally bankrupt to raise them properly.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Ive faced some but mainly online type discrimination. A little from my family too.
    Even when I was christian I faced it.

Ah well, learn and grow.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I got it alot when I was a kid but not so much now. Let's see...
    I've been hit with bats, stabbed with a letter opener, had rocks thrown at me, been "clothes-lined", had my books thrown out a bus window, and my backpack destroyed.

And that's only the physical abuse, lol.
    Anonymous

• Several years ago when I was working at UNL, I had to file a formal report against a fellow employee (a "Christian") for religious harassment. It had got to the point where BOTH of our job performances were suffering. He'd leave his station just to follow me around and tell me I was "Satan's whore" and the like.

Haven't had to go to court for anything more than a ticket as of yet (thank the gods) so I haven't had to deal with the judicial system. 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2009