This Freaked Me Right Out!

So in the morning my 10 1/2 month old son woke up crying. DH went and got him and brought him into our bed to nurse. Then we all fell back to sleep. A while later DH got up for work so it was just be and baby in the bed. I woke up to see my son cruising along the foot of the bed!! I have no idea HOW he got onto the floor, no idea how LONG he'd been there, or how I actually woke up! He didn't fall because he was SMILING and had no tears (plus I hope I would have heard the thud). The scary thing is that my bedroom is really not baby proofed because he's never in there on the floor.

How the heck did he get down there? How did I wake up? Has anything like this happened to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Little ones are 'magicians!'
    I have a 4 month old granddaughter who lives with me and I am fearing the day she begins to cruise around the house...lol...I'm so old to keep up with her! LOL
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yesterday I put my 8 month old into his highchair with some snacks so I could load the dishwasher without his "assistance" :). I strap him in and turn my back to start my task. Usually he puts up a fuss, but he was quiet. I turn around a moment later and he is standing up on the floor holding onto the bottom of the highchair! HOW the heck did he pull this off?
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 7:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• YES!!! Except I woke up when I heard the thud!!! *Sad* I dont let my kiddos sleep with me anymore! Its just not safe... One time my hubby woke up to go to work and our daughter was in our bed too, I guess I rolled over and if my arm were an inch in a different direction, I couldve suffocated her.... now... I dont let any kiddos sleep in my bed! Its just toooooo dangerous, expecially if you roll around and kick in your sleep! Be careful!!! I would just keep the baby out of your bed, especially if your rooms isnt baby/kid friendly~
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 7:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I would suggest baby proofing the bedroom at this point! They do make bedside gates u could grab a couple to put up so he cant get down. My DD slept in my bed until she was 16 mo & I lined the bed up w/ pillows everywhere so when she rolled she'd just bump into them but stay put. If u put the pillows under the sheets I find they stay in place a lot better. I simply had to babyproof my room & put some toys in here for her to play w/ but I never didnt wake up to her leaving the bed or anything. Sadly she did fall out a couple of times :( makes u feel real awful when that happens.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 7:50 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Well I put him up on the bed to see how he did it and here is what I believe he did: he laid down on his belly, slowly slid head first with his hands out down the side of the bed, he then caught himself on his hands and lowered himself down. He definitely did not fall out because he would have cried and I would have heard the thud. I think this was a Green Barre moment for him! He must have learned it from vacation. We just got home, the bed we had been sleeping on for the past 4 nights was only 6 inches off the ground. He was climbing on and off all week.

I'm just going to take it as a message that it is time to stop letting him sleep in bed with us!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My daughter is 21 months and trust me, it only gets worse. Once they learn how to climb on the table or the couch then jump off! Or knock over dressers!! Its scary, I have learned my lesson and now she is never in a room alone or where I can't see her.
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 10:50 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Words of wisdom, Anchor all heavy furniture to the walls, esp dressers with tv's on top.

Kids do stuff like this, its kinda freaky but at least nothing happend and you know how to fix it now.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:53 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my daughter is 20 months old and i quit letting her sleep with me cuz there were times when i would wake up in the morning and she would be on the floor.. laundry hanging out of the dressers or whatever she could get her hands on. and honestly theres jus too much risk. them getting hurt.getting into somethin.destroying the house. its jus once they start to crawl start baby proofing everything! ever for a few months later cuz once they start crawling thats it! they're on the go and they dont stop! they grow up too fast and learn too much! and especially proof everything cuz now my daughter is at the age where she can have a baby bed so its time for gates and proofing the bedroom
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2009