I have a 2 year old who won't eat meat. Any suggestions?

Hi - I'm new and just learning my way around. My son just turned 2 and won't eat meat unless its a chicken nugget cut up. I have tried everything I can think of but can't get him to even taste other meats. Help!!

Lesley3920

Asked by Lesley3920 at 7:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't worry about it as long as he is getting vegetables . They go through spurts and you learn as you go.Its different for him so its no big deal.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 7:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I have a 1 year old who wont eat meat period! Not even chicken nuggets. I feel your pain!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 7:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• You could try other very soft meats, like bologna, deli ham, chicken from soup. I think little kids just don't like things that are very chewy--requires too much molar action. But don't worry about it if he doesn't like anything else. He'll get enough protein in his diet.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Try making other forms of "chicken" nuggets and see if he notices? Or make it into cool shapes?
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 8:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My 2yr old will eat meat (hot dogs, nuggest, steak, chicken) only if he has his dips. Meaning ketchup, mustard, bbq sauce, steak sauce...............sometimes he'll dip,sometimes he won't.
    He also goes thru stages........1 week nothing but veggies, fruit, etc......the next week nothing but meat.
    I just go with th flow......he won't starve and he gets vitaims....
    SoKamele

Answer by SoKamele at 8:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my son eats very little meat but loves his Veggies! when we go out to eat he wants a Salad sometimes. I always have to order a salad and veggies for him because he doesn't want the meat in less we grill out then he will eat the meat not sure why that is though
    Missy_Dye

Answer by Missy_Dye at 8:44 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• don't worry. As long as he's getting nutrients from other foods. peanut butter is good for 'em. Or try covering the meat wtih cheese. Or making a mixture of veggies, pasta, cut up meat and sauce so it all tastes about the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Just make sure he gets plenty of veggies and throw in a flintstones vitamin if you'd like.
    KellBell0820

Answer by KellBell0820 at 8:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Welcome to my world! Our 2 y/o FS is big on chicken nuggets, and at times salisbury steak. It's crazy, but I know he's healthy. He eats lots of fruit, and broccoli rice casserole. He isn't starving, and it did take me a long while to stop worrying about it. He does go in stages as well. We just keep offering him new things occasionally, not daily-or he runs when he sees anything new, and sometimes he'll try it. BTW, when he was less than 1 y/o he'd eat anything you put in front of him. Now at this age, I thing he wants to be more in control and choose what he eats. As long as he's eating SOMETHING, it's OK with me!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My son is almost 3 and wouldnt eat meat until he ate a cold hotdog out of the refrig. But thats all he will eat for meat and that is only once every couple weeks or so. He has sensory processing disorder so he can smell from a mile away if I open meat and you'll hear him upstairs say "ewww"! You can see my sons ribs so I freak out but the doc insists that he is extremely healthy.. he's just lean. He is all muscle and super strong. My son's diet is pb&j, eggs, mashed potatoes, rice, and milk, and most veggies. This has been his diet for 2+ years now. Of course throw in a hotdog once in a while with some cookies and cake. Don'y worry!! Just keep up with eggs abd peanut butter!! Oh and dont worry about cholestoral with all the eggs.. itsa actually ok for kids! Good Luck1
    MommyJ1027

Answer by MommyJ1027 at 9:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2009