bugs in my veggies???

my tomatoes and peppers are growing very well but over the last three days the bugs have taken over. i dont want to loose what i have planted as they will be ready to pick in the next week. what can i do or use to get rid of them ???

kt2babies

Asked by kt2babies at 8:42 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It depends on what kind of bug... what's eating them?
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 9:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• that would depend on how organic you want to be. if you don't mind chemicals use something from walmart for bugs that you can powder or spray on.
    or you can use a combo of dish detergent and hotsauce to spray on the vegetation.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Sevin works for many bugs. Tomato horn worms was a major problem for me, but you just pick those off and dispatch them.

Answer by Bmat at 9:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• A great way to get a tailored answer based on exactly what kind of bug, your plants, and climate, get one of the bugs into a baggie or jar and take it down to your local extension office. Every city or county has one, you may have to look around to find it, but it's there. They are staffed with entomologists, biologists, or botanists that will assist you for free.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Many pests will be taken care of with a mix of liquid soap and water in a spray bottle. Some will be kept at bay with talcum powder. I would take the advice above, and take a bug or two to a local garden center and they can advise you best.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Plant some basil or mint (or other smelly herb) between your tomatoes, this will repel many of the pests. I have a friend who swears by this formula: boil jalapenos in water; mix the water with white vinegar, spray daily.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2009