flying while pregnant

i know i am only going to be 6 weeks next week when i am flying but i was curious if it is safe

longonevs

Asked by longonevs at 8:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• just as safe as if you weren't pregnant
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• It's safe up until your third trimester. My sister-in-law is a flight attendant and worked throughout her pregnancy until she was 7 months. Legally her airline made her quit at 7 months pregnant.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yes it's perfectly safe. The only reason you hear it's not safe for pregnant women to fly has nothing to do with air pressure or anything up there being harmful to you or baby....but it has to do with the airline not wanting a woman in her third trimester to go into labor on the plane without proper medical attention....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Its safe. The only time its not is if you are close to your Due Date. It can also be unsafe if you are going on a very high altitude flight - longer flights are usually higher. But I've already flown twice and I'm only about 10 weeks. Short flights... about 2 hours each. I would check with your doctor but it should be fine.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I flew when I was almost 5 months along & again when I was about 6 months along & had no problems. I make sure to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. I also didn't "fight" my way out of the plane--you know how passengers will stand up in the aisles as soon as they can? I just stayed in my seat until most people were gone so I didn't risk a fall. You won't be showing at 6 weeks but if you do fly when you have a baby belly, be prepared for extra security. Apparently, a fake baby bump was once used in a bombing. Every time I flew while pregnant, I was pulled aside & a female security guard would ask permission to feel my belly & make sure it was real. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2009