To those who are not Christians: What is sin?

Christians, I know what you'll say, because I'm one of you. This question is mainly for non-Christians.

beccare2000

Asked by beccare2000 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just thought of something to add... is the word "sin" used in your religion?
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I don't believe in sin. Sin is a Christian consept, so non-Christians aren't really going to be able to answer this besides to say there is no such thing...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:07 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• The things Christians label "sin" are just human nature. Some are traits that are evolutionary leftovers of when humans did not have civilization, and some could still be used to our benefit today if there wasn't so much ridiculous superstition about them. Either way, we should not be made to feel guilt or shame about things that come naturally to us. We should be able to just use our own common sense to know when we're going overboard or hurting ourselves. Learn from your mistakes....but apologizing to some "higher being" for them only degrades people.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• As Sabrina has mentioned, most non-Christians do not have a concept of sin. Now there is Karma which is the return of the type of energy you give out. That's about as close as you'll get.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I fully agree with Sabrina and Salem...I think you will be hard pressed to find a non-Christian who believes in "sin".

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• LOL! I guess this does seem like a silly question... let me do a little re-phrasing.
    What is your concept of sin as a non-Christian? Also, is "sin" only spoken of in the Bible, or do any other religions use that term?
    Hope that makes more sense!! :)

Metalcowgirl, thank you for your thoughtful response.
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• sin is a religious concept. I don't believe that everything you do will come back to you, or else there wouldn't be so many stories of good things happening to bad people and bad things happening to good people. I do believe that it's worth it to live a moral life in order to not only teach your children how to be moral (without fearing eternal damnation in the process - they should be good because it's RIGHT to be good, not because they're afraid of repercussions of bad behavior) and so that the memory that you leave behind is one of goodness and honesty.
    nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 9:47 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Sin is only spoken of in Abrahamic faiths. Judism, Christianity and Islam. It's only used in those faiths which have and/or follow the old testement (since not all of them use the new testement). I do not know of any non-Christian faith that even uses the term. Most others believe in something along the lines of Karma, what we do comes back to us.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• And I highly believe that thinking all of your behavior comes from either God or Satan (good things are godly, sin is temptation by satan) completely erases the concept of personal responsibility, and erodes the idea that you are in charge of your own life, your own bad decisions, and your own fate. As does the concept of "forgiveness" by god for all of your sins - if you know that you'll be forgiven no matter what you do, where is the actual incentive to NOT commit atrocities? How is there any personal responsibility for your actions?
    nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 9:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Sin is a Christian construct. As an atheist, I only see sin in the context of the religon from which it comes from. I do not see all actions and decisions as either "good" or "bad" there are various shades in between. For example, killing someone can sometimes be "good" or "bad" or "accidental" depending on the circumstances. Lying can be "good" or "bad" or "neutral" depending on what is being lied about, why the lie is told, who is telling it, and who it hurts or protects.

A person's behavior and actions are influenced by their personal sense of right and wrong, societies sense of right and wrong, past experiences with the situation, unique properties of the current situation, and even the possible outcomes, consequences, or rewards of taking a risk vs taking the safe route. In other words, the right decision today might be the wrong decision tomorrow and a neurtal decision the day after that
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2009