How do Stay-at-home-Moms teach their children the value of having a job?

You know what they say about children and how they mimic everything that parents do.

If you are a SAHM (stay at home mom) how can you teach your son or daughter how important is to be independent and a role model for future generations?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have taught my children that they are much more important than any career I can ever have. When you die they do not write "Beloved working rich woman" or "worked more hours than any other woman" on your grave stone!! We barely make ends meet some months but we are happy to be together as a family. We love our time together and each night when Daddy gets home, we are thankful for the job he does that provides us all with so much. We teach our children how to be responsible by giving them their own jobs around the house and paying them for them. We teach them teamwork and what it means to be part of a family.

I am not trying to bash all the working moms here, just ones who think like this. Like we are somehow beneath her. I know that many of us have no choice but to work. And even if it is your choice, you do what is best for your family. I know most working mothers are respectful of SAHM and visa versa....
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 2:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• you don't need a job to teach your child how to be a role model, my dh makes enough money where i can stay home and take care of my children....
    so now let me ask you this op, how does someone who works 40 or more hours a week have enough time to spend with their children so they can teach them how to be a role model?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Are you FKN serious? I find this highly offensive! We don't have to have a job to teach our children about work and the world. I worked from age 16 to 30 so I do know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I am very lucky that my hubby works very hard for this family. Prob. too much (6 days a week from 7am-8ish pm) So I talk about it on a regular bases with my son. "isn't it great that daddy works so much, so I get to stay with you?" or when he wants to buy every toy under the sun at the store, I remind him that I don't work and have extra money because I get to stay home instead of working. I have also told him the plan is to stay home until he is in school, I made it sound like I took a loooong break from my job but it is almost over.
    I feel I am teaching my son how a "good father is" and "strong work ethic" as well as "that family is important" all at the same time.
    Anonymous

• well put anon 8:45
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• IMO it's more important for a mom to teach her kids that it's very important for mothers to spend time with her kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Just because Im a SAHM doesnt mean my children have not learned work ethic, they see me working to keep the house and take care of them and their daddy. They see me as the mom that doesnt just drop them off in daycare to let someone else do my work as a parent. They also see their daddy doing what is best for our family by working outside the home while knowing he doesnt have to worry about his kids because I am here with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I'm a SAHM and my oldest son is leaving for junior Bible camp tomorrow and earned ALL of the money to pay for camp plus spending money!! It was his idea, he approached my husband and said he wanted to earn his way to camp. Hmmm...I think my children have learned the value of a job, don't you?

Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Oh my... what a mean thing to ask. How about we reverse it and ask.. hey anon- how do you teach your children that they are more important than money when you leave them all day to make some? I think you are not happy about your decision to work and have to look down on others that do not share your views. I hope you find the balance in life that you are looking for so you do not have to treat others like this. BTW- I am a working Mom because I can found the work/family balance. I stayed home for years when I could not find that balance (my kids were young, hubby worked too far away, ect..) As long as a family has the balance it needs, you can choose to work or stay home.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Wow. I don't need a job to teach my kids to be independent (already done that...they pretty much take care of themselves and are only 9, 7 1/2, 6 1/2 and 3) or to be good role models. We're working on that but the older kids try to show the youngest how to act and behave...they're pretty good role models.
    As for hard work...I work all day long at home. From cooking dinner, making lunch, cleaning up their messes (when I can't get them to do it), the never ending laundry, yard work, etc. There's always something to do.
    Last month I took to task cleaning out our basement. I did it alone. Took me 2 weeks off and on with most of the work done in 3 days. I worked 8 hour days cleaning down there until it was done. That's work ethic for you right there. And on top of the work in the basement I still had to get the kids to and from school, make lunches and dinner, do laundry and take care of my 3yo.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2009