powder or liquid? what do u perfer? and how many cans u get?

my son is 1 mnth old he is on powder and gets 10 cans for 1 mnth. is this right? u all on liquid how many cans do u get ? and does it last? i have already had too buy 2 cans bc we ran out.

Also my cusion said she is on liquid and she gets 30 cans a mnth... really? should i change too liquid? will wic office let me change it when i go for his wic app ?

ashley_nick30

Asked by ashley_nick30 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know what you are supposed to get with WIC, but my girl was a big eater and she only went through 1.5 cans a week (the larger can) at her max so I can't imagine why you are using 12 cans. How much is he eating at a feeding and how often?
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• We used powder and a huge can from Bj's and it lasted 2 weeks. We spent 40 a month.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• You only get more with liquid because its mixed differently...its not the same as powder..liquid is a pain in the @$$...i gave it to my son because thats what he had in the hospital but i switched after a month!! You only get ten cans because its a supplemental program! my son ran out too...i have to spnd about 30 extra on his formula...i usually just buy the big jars because i know hes going to use it eventually...just do what you can to not waste bottles!! IMO liquid just isnt worth it..in the end its up to you!!!...btw if you get foodstamps you can use that for baby food!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• oh BTW the little liquid cans you get, you end up going through 2 a day....so you run out of those too, sometimes...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I prefer powder formula. It is cheaper and the liquid formula seemed to stain clothes. I used what I left the hospital with and never got it again. You can get the generic brands of powder that is the same just cheaper. WIC is a supplemental program so you will probably have to buy a few more cans every month. Stick with powder.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 11:22 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I used liguid with my 1st child for 6 months and then switched to powder. The reason I did so is, I got tired of carrying so many bottles around with me that I had to keep cold when I was going to be gone all day. The nice thing about powder is you dont have to refridgerate it so all I needed was bottles with room temp water and I bought this neat little thing at walmart that has 3 sections for formula. You premeasure the formula when you fill the container to whatever your baby eats and when its time to make a bottle you just pop the top and dump the already measured amount of formula into your water. You dont have to worry about measuring while out and about.

When my first child was on wic and on liquid we got 31 cans a month, then when I switched to powder I got 9 cans of Similac. When my 2nd was about 6 months old our wic program switched to Good Start and we then got 10 cans because they were smaller.
    Vsoul0608

Answer by Vsoul0608 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I used powder with my first son. With this baby I started using powder because his formula needed to be concentrated for extra calories. I switched to liquid as soon as I could. Powder clumped and never mixed perfectly. He is fed through a feeding tube so even those tiny clumps turned into clogs for us. Since switching to liquid my life has gotten so much easier. I use about 2 of those liquid cans every day or day and half. I buy those ready to feed 8 oz bottles of formula (6 bottles for 10 bucks) when we go out so I don't have to worry about keeping it cold or reheating it. I get 31 cans from WIC, and last month I had to buy 4 cans.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 11:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Wic here where i live we get 9cans of powder a month. the 12.9 oz ones. I think its perfectly fine getting that amount. With my DD i NEVER bought my own formual, i acutally usually had a can left over each month. With the liquid conentrated ones, i think it might be 9cans per week, but im not positive.
    kirasmommy7

Answer by kirasmommy7 at 1:47 AM on Jul. 23, 2009