If a child has attented same school

For 8yrs, and intends to graduate in 4yrs from the high school withing that zone, can her father who lives 30 minutes away, convince her to live with him and the courts approve?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• if she wants to then let her,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Just concerned she won't be able to attend that high school because of the address change.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Convince her? Well, I suppose if he offered to pay her enough. LOL Really how would anyone but her know. Teens really hate to move away from what they have known and all their friends by the time they get to high school. He'd have to sweeten the pot unless she just wants to move. Some schools will let kids from another district go to their schools it just depends on the school district.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Is her father's school district better than the one she is slated to attend? It should really be about what is in HER best interest, not whether you like it or don't like it because of whatever issues you may still have with her father.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Not better, much worse. We live in the best school district for our county. Also, I fear he has an agenda, to let her live there, say he has full custody of her, then move to another state with her with his girlfriend who's originally from that other state. She really likes the girlfriend, that's the "pot sweetner".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Thirty minutes away in good traffic makes it hard to attend a school long distance like that. Maybe offer to child who wants to live with dad to instead spend more weekends with dad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• OP-- then I think you need to state ALL of your concerns for the record to the judge--even if they seem "baseless" and are just speculation.

If you've been providing a stable and loving home for your daughter, and she is a good student, I cannot imagine why a judge would side with sending her to a different school, and to live with her father just because your daughter likes his girlfriend.

Chances are highly likely that her father and girlfriend do not impose rules/curfew, etc., and are very permissive, and "friend-like" with her as opposed to being "parent-like." Which, if that is the case, and I were the judge I would see right through it. That would not be in the best interest of your daughter. You need to be strong and unwaivering when it comes to this issue!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:21 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• In our area if you can prove to the school that you can make it to school on time & it doesnt become a issue ("oh i couldnt go to school cause my car broke & the bus isnt an option for me kinda excuses") they DO NOT care where you live. . .
    But every city/ state is diffrent. ... just look into ..
    is this something your ok with ? talk it out with your child & make sure its the best interest in the long run.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If she wants to go, yes it can and will happen.It also depends on the age of the child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Why the automatic assumption he has something up his sleeve? Maybe like you he simply loves his daughter and wants her to live with him. Maybe your daughter wants a chance to live with her dad for a while before it is too late.

When I was 14 I went to live with my dad. My mom fought hard against it and we are not close now because of that. I wanted to get to know him I only saw him 4 days out of the month and really missed him. My mom would not agree to shared custody so I begged my dad to go for full custody. He did and I told the judge I wanted to live with my dad. The judge granted it and I went to live with him and his wife and other kids. I saw my mom pretty much every weekend and whenever I wanted since my dad cared more about my feelings and less about his own. My mom was so angry with me and hated my dad more than she ever loved me. I say make sure you listen to her and love her more than you hate him.
    Anonymous