Baby Boy Gets Homesick

We can not take my 6 month old any where at all without him getting fussy. At home he is so wonderful and hardly ever cries. When we take to a restaurant or wal-mart he screams. This past weekend we went to spend the night at my in laws that live 2 hours away. Baby boy did good until he realized we would be spending the night. He refused to go to sleep and screamed for 4 hours. At midnight we put him in his car seat and drove him home. He fell asleep on the way home. We are supposed to go to a wedding 4 hours away from home this weekend and stay there for a few nights. I just don't think we will be able to. I have just never heard of a baby being so homesick, is there anything I can try to do?

ekerazy78

Asked by ekerazy78 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you have a play pen at home you use? maybe you could take that with you. If you don't barrow or get one use it at home a few times. When he gets use to it take it with you and put him in it to sleep. Also does he have a lovey? like a teddy or sheep? try bringing regular toys he plays with from home, and whatever he sleeps with along. Now are you sticking to your routine (if you have one) maybe he is freaking b/c his schedule is off idk. hth
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• What about bringing something from his bed that smells like home. A blanket, a pillow, an animal he sleeps with, etc. Is there any noise on in his room while he is sleeping, like a radio, noisemaker, fan,, etc.? If so, bring that with you also and turn it on for him.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I think he's just being what he is, a small baby. An pure innocent gift from God, baby. He can't think things out like you're wondering if he can. When my kids were little, I learned that keeping errands and noise low level a few days before travel and upon arrival, and also same a few days before and after returning home helped keep things calm.

Is there a comfy soft cushioned headset of gentle music you can have him listen to himself? My kids are now adult plus highschool. Believe me road trips of any length don't get too much better as they age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Perhaps he's not homesick, just really over-stimulated. Make sure you have enough down time scheduled where there isn't tons of people, lots of noise and more relaxing environment where people aren't constantly trying to hold him.
    He sounds more over-stimulated to me, not homesick. Read his cues, when he starts to get fussy, take in to a quieter place with just you and him, and let him calm down.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 11:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my dd did this when ever we went shopping or to a resturant to. we just let her cio yea people gave us dirty looks but we werent going to let her dictate r lives just because she was unhappy.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2009