At what age should you take a bottle away from a child?

I want to know when it is a good idea to take the bottle away. I don't want my dh addicted to it like I have seen some.

lostdarkangel13

Asked by lostdarkangel13 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pedis recommend at a year of age to take it away. My mom always told me it was one of the hardest things to do, but with my DS..I had him completely off the bottle at 9 months. I introduced a Nuby sippy (soft spout) when he could hold his bottle at 8 1/2 months and then since he didn't get that he had to tip it AND because dentists would prefer a straw cup over a sippy, we got Nuby sippy straw cups. He's used those ever since and it was VERY easy to switch him. :)
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 9:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• As sad as it sounds im the same way i see kids at 5 still walking with a binky in their mouth and i feel like ripping it out...but who am i to talk ...ive been fighting with my 3 yr old daughter about letting the bah bah (bottle) go and she refuses ! so I guess when their ready theyll drop it
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• When they're a year old. After that, it's bad for their teeth.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It's best at a year. And the best way is to just take cold turkey. Before you take it from her start getting her accustomed to a sippy. I had a hard time with my youngest she was a bottle sleeper, had to have when she went to bed. I started it around 12 mos old but I was too lienient. I finally said no more and threw all but one a way (just in case of an emergency) She was broke of the habit by 16 mos. It was hard but you will be able to do it. If your daughter is dependent on it don't give in when she cries for it, she will eventually stop.
    Roxeerose13

Answer by Roxeerose13 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• peds recommend at 12 months. but i feel let the child lead you. a 14 month old is still a baby. if your child is devastated and fights hard, allow water in the bottle only. then limit how often your child gets the bottle, maybe just when he wakes up in the morning. my daughter was completely off the bottle by 15 months with no problems at all.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 10:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• LOL my dd had hers till she was 3.5 I think. Not for bed just around the house when she was feeling it. She didn't always want it so I didn't take it. She gave it up eventually. I don't know I'm not really a big fan of taking away pacifiers or bottles or stopping finger sucking. It is a soother. Let them be soothed. It might look ridiculous to others but like I've said before...who cares what others think?
    Do what you feel is best for your child.
    Hugs!
    Shele
    SHELEBELLE

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 10:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My son is 6 months and gets one of the nuby cups as mentioned earlier. He gets 1 bottle a day. Some say its early but he handles the sippy MUCH better.. so why ruin a good thing?
    lnmauldin7

Answer by lnmauldin7 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My first son drank bottle until he was 4 years old....he's 5 now and he doesn't have 1 single rotten teeth as yet...and he sucks his 2 middle fingers on top of that !!
    Anonymous

• It's best to stop the bottle at 12 mth's... you can start giving a sippy cup before that to encourage and slowly stop using the bottle.
    cmy3kids

Answer by cmy3kids at 11:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• 12 months starts preping them at 10 months that way at 12 there fully off or only taking one at night
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2008