Need Help Finding a Baby Name.

We have a boy and a girl and have used the only boy and girl names we agree on already. I'm pregnant with baby number 3 and we have no clue what to name him or her. I'll find out in 6 weeks if it's a boy or a girl, though I have a strong hunch it's a boy.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about how to pick a good name? The baby name books seem so overwhelming with thousands of names listed.

Anyone have some good advice for choosing baby names?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 10:07 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• What about a family name? You could always combine two family names to make one. Think of a meaning you would like to represent your 3rd child and look up names using that meaning. Decide if you guys want something simple, old school, unique, etc. and go from there.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I'm not gonna lie...we googled ours. haha, we figured if it were one we could agree on, then it didnt matter if anyone else liked it! Our middle name for our boy is a family name...good luck!
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 10:18 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• We left the baby book out on coffee table or in bathroom and highlighted names we liked and crossed out ones we hated. It was interesting to open the book and see a highlighted name and crack up that he picked it...then I would mark it out...we finally just found one.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I agree with vnw1504--are there any family names you could use? Someone you would like to honor? If you can manage to pick one name, usually the other will fall into place. My 3rd child is named Lydia Paige. "Lydia" was her great-great-grandmother's name. Grandma Lydia was 92 when Baby Lydia was born. We knew as soon as we found out we were having a girl that we wanted to honor Grandma this way. After that, we started playing around with middle names & just picked one that sounded good with Lydia. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• We don't have any good family names. My family names are Sue, Ronald, and Clyde.

My husband's mother is Korean and we want our kids to have American names. My husband's father abandoned him when he was 5, so we don't want to use any of his family names.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My friend used letters from her 1st 2 kids mid names (Alexus & Tre-von). She asked for my help naming her lil man. I came up w/ Xaveur from those names. That was tough, but it may work for you as well. Or, maybe pull letters from ur & ur husbands names. Good luck!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 11:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Watch the credits. Everytime you watch a movie stick around for the credits. You'll see a good variety of names in no particular order so there's a better chance of something you like jumping out at you. We came up with my son's name, Corbin, after watching Major League.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2009