Can someone be a Christian if they don't believe in the resurrection?

I'm having a discussion about this on the site in my profile. Some seem to think that you do not have to believe in the resurrection, as long as you are following the teachings of Jesus you are a Christian. Others think that the resurrection is pivotal to Christianity and without it their faith is in vain.
So can someone be a Christian if they do not believe in the resurrection?

DebateandRelate

Asked by DebateandRelate at 10:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, in order to be a christian you need to believe in what the bible says, not just parts of it. If the bible says Jesus was resurrected you should believe in that as well. If you don't then I wouldn't consider a person a christian. That is a HUGE part of his story. Now I do believe the little things you need to determine yourself. Some religions believe that drinking wine or a beer is wrong and you can't do it- while others don't think that as long as you don't get drunk. So some things in the bible you just have to determine for yourself- but something like Jesus being resurrected thats huge. And no, if you don't believe in that then I don't consider one a christian.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Christianity is a religion. I'm sure if you follow a Christ-based type of ritual/religious worship/belief you might consider yourself a Christian.

However, being "saved" (which some people refer to as "true Christianity") requires faith in Jesus and the resurrection. "if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that
    God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9). Defeat over death is vital to the purpose of salvation and IMHO, you cannot believe that your sins are forgiven if you do not acknowledge the fully-God/Fully-man's (Jesus Christ) defeat over death in our place. His death was important but his resurrection was VITAL.

It's entirely possible for "religion" and "salvation" to completely miss each other.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• do you mean Jesus' resurrection or everyone else resurrection at armaggedon?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• In my opinion, no. If you don't believe in the resurrection then you're calling Him a liar.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Jesus' resurrection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Jesus' resurrection (don't know what that made me anonymous) lol
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 10:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Nope
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• No. You can not be a Christian without believing in Jesus resurrection.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yes. There is way more to faith in Jesus then his resserection. While I personally DO believe in his resurrection, I hold a different view then many on that subject, but I do not find that his resurrection is the most integral part of Who Jesus was and What he did and Why he came.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I personally don't understand why or how you would call yourself Christian if you didn't believe in Jesus's resurrection. The purpose was salvation and that He rose on the third day as he prophesized that He would. I believe that He was God's son, sent to die for our sins and did rise again on the third day. If I didn't believe all of this, I would not call myself a Christian.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2009