Anyone Know if You Can Childproof a Piano?

My one year old can lift up the keyboard cover on our piano now. Does anyone know if there is a way to lock the cover down without damaging the piano?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 10:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You could always teach your child to stay away from it. My Children know not to touch certain things around the house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If my rambunctious 1 year old would stay away from the piano I wouldn't be posting the question.

Of course he doesn't mess with it when I'm watching, but the moment I'm folding laundry or changing my toddler's pull up, there he is at the piano. When it comes to his safety, I don't feel comfortable with the whole just teach a 1 year old not to touch the piano theory.

Sure we teach our kids not to do certain things, but they are curious and some things are more than just no-no's. The piano key cover is heavy and can seriously hurt his fingers
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:47 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Well, you could pop his hand whenever he touches the piano, and if that doesn't work, when it slams on his fingers, he'll learn his lesson real quick. When I was little, my mom told me to not touch the iron and me being stubborn, I touched the iron, burned my finger and never did it again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I'd call a piano store and ask if it's possible to have a lock installed.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Gate off the music room. Or simply move the bench and leave the cover open.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Can you put a couple of heavy books on the top to weigh it down?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2009