Is this Obama cartoon email a "attack" on the President like the Democratic spokesman is saying?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/16/tennessee.email/index.html?iref=newssearch

Do you think the Democrats are overreacting?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 10:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it's an attack on him, but it does have a racial tone. I was pretty open minded when I opened the link to see what it was. If it were just a picture of him (not other presidents as well), then I guess it would be subject to the text of the cartoon. How exactly it is an 'attack' though? I don't think it is. It's in poor taste. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Oh Please! They need to get over it. Every president in history has been made fun of. Why should Obama be any different...? Cause he is black? He is still the president and still needs to get treated like all the others before him... It's just a damn joke
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• QuinnMae - I'm not saying it is an attack either. Democratic Party Chairman Chip Forrester stated "Is this indicative of what Senate Republicans think about our commander-in-chief?" and "I am calling on Sen. Black to reject this racist smear and fire this staffer who... launched this bigoted attack on our president,"

I think he is overreacting.

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 11:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• NO. It isn't racist. When I first saw it I thought it looked just like Elmer Fud looking for Bugs Bunny in the cave. You know the one, it was pitch dark and all you saw was his eyes. I saw it as Obama, being the totally inexperienced man he is, being "in the dark" on everything.

Even if it was meant to portray him as black...he is BLACK ins't he??? There have been some really terrible cartoon about other presidents, NONE of them drew this kind of criticism. All the hoopla is ridiculous. If he can't take a joke he should have stayed in Chicago with his thug friends.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• yourspecialkid - funny how one-sided reactions are huh? Where was everyone when Palin was hanged from a noose and McCain was burned in a chimney as a Halloween "prank" out in CA???!!!??? Police and city officials accepted it and deemed it an appropriate joke. It was a public display and not taken down!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 11:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• yourspecialkid - funny how one-sided reactions are huh? Where was everyone when Palin was hanged from a noose and McCain was burned in a chimney as a Halloween "prank" out in CA???!!!??? Police and city officials accepted it and deemed it an appropriate joke. It was a public display and not taken down! They didn't deem it apprioate, they said it wasn't illegal. They are not the apprioate police

Attacking is going too far, but it IS a racist joke and is pretty disgusting as was teh Palin "joke". You can still be a republican and admit that it was RACIST...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• thunder, I wasn't arguing that it was attack. Actually, quite the opposite. It has a racial tone to it, but that doesn't qualify as an attack in my book. And if it were just a picture of the eyeballs w/o the other presidents in the picture, I would probably interpret it as "Obama being in the dark" about policy. After all, even as white as I may be, my skin doesn't glow in the dark.

I think people take things too personal and literal. I never squawked at the cartoons that depicted Bush as a monkey. Obama is a big boy.

I agree, Forrester is overreacting.  Plus, it doesn't speak highly of him that he is trying to attribute one person's poor taste to an entire party of Republicans.  I certainly don't burden all Democrats with the opinions of ONE democrat.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Look, dem or pub, whoever you are it doesn't matter, ANYONE who works in a professional environment knows that you can be fired over inappropriate emails no matter what their content. The IDIOT probably chose everyone in her address book to send it to, instead of her fellow racist buddy. BIG MISTAKE in the corporate world.

My brother was fired from a job because he sent an email that was sexual in nature to a buddy and a woman who sat next to the buddy saw it on the guy's screen and that was enough to fire him. This kind of thing happens EVERYWHERE. The woman is a MORON (just as my brother was).

That being said, its not up to the dem party to demand anything. But let's be fair, it is absolutely 100% racist and it makes the State of Tennesee look very bad.... probably not to racists (see above), but certainly to those of us who are not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Some people need to grow up and learn not to see everything through a racist filter. The only way anyone could find that cartoon even slightly racist would be if they were hyper-sensitive and looking for something to use. The fact that Obama is black has nothing to do with the fact that he's playing in the dark politically speaking. Apparently most Republicans have gotten over it and moved on, the Democrates are still sitting in the mud playing the race card.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jun. 22, 2009