my 14 month old son hardly says a word

My son is 14 months old,when he was around10-12 months he would say a few words,now he hardly says anything .I am worried.Is my fear justified or should I be more patient

moosimamma

Asked by moosimamma at 11:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd be patient a little longer. A language explosion should be in right around the corner. By 18 months, he should have 10 to 20 words. Those words may not sound anything like the words you use and know however: He will drop sounds out of the word, use different sounds for ones he can't say yet, or even just make up his own word. If you know what he means when he says something, not matter how odd the word sounds, then it's a word. By the time he is 7 (yes 7) he will have clear speech.

If he doesn't have 10 to 20 words by 18 months have him evaluated. He may be just fine and more time will help (that's probably what your doctor will say) or there may be a problem. At 18 months, let a speech specialist evaluate him if you are still concerned.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Is he bilingual? That could slow things. My son really didn't start talking very much until he was 2 and 1/2. Now he is 2.9 and he talks constantly. My husband and I were concerned in the beginning so had him evaluated, went to speech therapy and a neurologist. Speech therapy helped a bit but what I think really did was exposing him to lots of other children...playdates weren't enough so I put him in preschool for 3 hrs a day M-F. Also is he making his needs known non verbally? Like pulling your hand to take you to what he wants. My speech therapist told me that when my son did that I should encourage him to use words right then.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 12:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I agree with kaycee14. Give him until 18 months and see what happens. At 18 months if he doesn't have the 10 to 20 words, I would definitely have him evaluated. My son was started speech therapy at 18 months and it made a huge difference.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2009