Should I try to straighten my hair with over the counter perm solution?

I don't want to pay big bucks to make my hair straight again. I have thought about buying a kit at wal-mart. Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Don't try to perm or straighten your own hair. Look up beauty schools in the area, and see if you can have it done at one. They're way cheaper, and a teacher will be checking to make sure it comes out OK.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• NO! Don't do it. You don't know what the chemical make up of those are and it could cause a really bad reaction. There are ingredients like lye, thio, and others that should never be mixed. Just because it seems like your curl came back doesn't mean the chemical is out of your hair and you need to put more in. Perm solution and relaxers permanently alter the chemical make up of your hair. As far as beauty school goes, straightening didn't go over so well at my school, and a lot of the instructors don't deal with it, and it doesn't mean it's gonna come out well either(they are students, learning)mistakes will happen. As a professional who has seen several disasters I would strongly caution you to find someone who knows what they are doing. I only charge my client about $40 most are $100. Remember, the only way to fix fried hair is to cut it off...
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• no, don't do it! I tried it once and broke off a patch of hair at my crown so I had little hairs growing back sticking straight up in the back middle part of my head (crown). It was awful, I had to hairspray them down and that looked crappy too!
    vikaroo18

Answer by vikaroo18 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• go to a sally beauty supply they have chemical hair straightners that work pretty good. but i recommend you have someone that does hair to do it for you but remember they have chemicals and chemicals will cause some degree of damage. i would condidtion my hair a few tims before i did it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I did mine at home...well actually my SO did it...but its not hard..it just takes more hands than you have..if your hair is dry or damaged now DONT DO IT! You cant use anything STRONG the first time....atleast i wouldnt...you could use a regular or something!? PM me if you have any questions!?
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• It's gonna look like crap, and you will still have to use a flat iron to straighten it every day. It's gonna look fried.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• forevermom thats not true at all..its all in what you buy how its applied and how you maintain your hair..if you had to flatiron your hair everyday, something went wrong...or your hair is beyond curly!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I did it and it turned out fine. I got the Ogilvie straightening kit and it's basically a perming kit without the rodds. You do have to make sure your hair is in good condition before you do it, not damaged, and not dry. Make sure you condition the daylights out of it before and after.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I just had my hair relaxed this weekend and its beautiful...salons would cost me an arm and a leg.Not too sure about schools tho.I bought my kit at walmart.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 23, 2009