My kids were in their first Dance recital yesturday and I was wondering about what other's think of kids dance recitals.

There were 2 show's the kids had to do yesturday. The kids loved performing and watching the other's dance. DD could hardly sit still, her feet were tapping almost the whole time. She's 3 and did ballet (teddy bear's picnic) and DS is 4 and he did jazz with his sister (I want candy). At first I was overwhelmed by the preparation of every little detail and thinking it was unnecessary. Seeing the performance it was worth it. But I wonder if it's jsut too much. My son didn't want to do dance next year, but after the show's he says he wants to do jazz again.
It's expensive and alot of work, do you think it's worth it?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes, if they want to do it and they are earnestly trying to learn then it is worth every penny it costs. If they wanted to be in baseball or soccer it would cost you just as much money and then there is every game to attend not just one recital.
    Dance is not the same cost as baseball or soccer. My kids are still in smurf soccer and that costs $75 for the season and it's only 10 weeks. I know that next year when they are in tyke it will be $110 and 2 days a week, uniform and ball included.
    The number of days you commit to dance depends on the type of dance they choose and the schedule of the studio. We chose ballet and jazz because they were the same night. It was about $45 a month for dance. Plus tight's, leotards and shoe's. The costumes are average $80 each. You have to buy new shoes and tight's depending on what you've already bought in the begining of the season. Then the $15 a ticket to go to the recital.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My stepdaughte does dance...

and yes it took her all year to learn one dance..

I feel if the child likes it...then yes it is worth it..

Some parents have the child do it because they once wanted to or have done it..

I ask her...my stepkid...do you like dance alittle, medium, or alot...
    They will tell you what they want.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• i think they're fun! i remember when i went to my nieces 1st one , she was maybe 3? ... and this little boy kept paying attention to someone on the side and kept walking over to them , and my niece wlaked in front of all the other kids (who werent paying attention either lol) and grabbed his hands and said come dance w/ me! ... lmao ever since then i said i cannot wait to have a girl and see her up there!
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 11:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• It is expensive, but you can usually opt out of the recitals if your child is shy or if its just too expensive but they need to know that in the beginning of the year. I know, when my sis and I were in dance, we each were taking three classes, plus pictures, costumes, and then usually they had you buy at least an eighth of a page in the program. But yes, it was worth it. I wasn't that great, but it did give me a lot of great memories at the very least.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:42 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My daughter started when she was 4, she is now 13 and has done it every year since. Every year we increased it and she is up to 9 dances now including a solo. A couple of the classes are compitiion classes. I love that she has such a passion for something because it keeps her busy and out of trouble. Her future goal is to go to Julliard in NYC, which I don't know if that's realistic because it is very expensive, but is't nice that she has a goal in life already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• dance is wonderful, they get so excited about getting made up and being on stage in front of so many people
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 11:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If the child likes it and wants to continue, then the amount of money is worth it for any actvitiy. If the child is being forced to do because it is what the parents want, then no it isn't worth it.

Personally, I just can't sit through dance recitals. I went to one of my nieces and it drove me crazy. Half the time you couldn't see because of all the knuckleheads standing and waving and yelling to get their kids attention.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I can't waaaaaaaaaaait to put my daughter in dance.

I did it from the time I was small all the way up through college. She loves music and dancing so I know it'll be great for her.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 12:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I had music lessons as a kid. My parents have never said but I'm sure it was expensive. We played two big recitals a year and three or four smaller ones in between. You could say we were forced to attain a certain level of competency - dropping music was not an option before about age 10 - but after that we were free to pursue it if we wanted and leave it otherwise. Not one of us quit playing until we finished high school. Getting to a certain amount of capability in a skill is important, regardless of what the skill is. But it's also important to listen to your child and not force them to do something they hate.
    As far as your son, I'd enroll him for next year and remind him of how much fun the recital was if he starts to lose motivation. Do you have pics or video? Sitting down with those might help him remember and want to keep going. If he's interested in athletics, dance now will do nothing but help him !
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2009