1st period after baby

My baby is 5 months old, and I am breastfeeding. I have heard that when you get your first period after giving birth it's very heavy since you haven't had one in a long time.
I have only spotted twice. Once 2 weeks ago, and once yesterday. Is that normal? Has that happened to anyone else?
I have been extremely tired lately.... and all it reminds me of is my 1st trimester when I was pregnant. The likelihood of me being pregnant is pretty slim since we've been using birth control, and I'm BF.... but, I can't help but wonder if this spotting is an indication of anything

CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 11:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i havent had any period yet and my lil one just turned one the 4th.with breastfeeding u do get the same simptoms as being pregnant.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Typically they can be heavier, but thats the tricky part about "typical." Not everyone is typical! I just got my period this week (go figure I FINALLY stop bleeding post pregnancy a week ago...then my period returns). And boy did it return with a vengeance...I almost freaked because (TMI ALERT here...) I passed a couple of major clots. And teh severe cramps I used to have pre-bc have come back too....ugh. BUt my friend Bee...barely freaking spotted! No fair! If you are concerned take a pregnancy test to ease your mind :-)
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My son is three months old and I bled originally for six weeks and after that I spotted every once in a while, which my doctor said was normal. I just got my real period back. I think it is normal. My period is pretty normal but I always had heavy periods. The only thing different was the cramping was more intense and I kept feeling into for days before I actually started bleeding. If you are worried, take a test. Sounds very unlikely. I agree with angel. BFing will ware you out!
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 8:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2009