duckling question

I have 2 white ducks that were rescued because they were Easter ducks and abandoned. I took them in. Right now I have them in an indoor pond, and take them out to our large pond daily. I am afraid to leave them out all night because of predators. But now that they are grown, do you feel it would be okay for me to leave them out on the big pond? Is there housing I would have to make for them, or will they find their own shelter?????

jancvit

Asked by jancvit at 11:35 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Pets

• Start by building an outdoor pen for them.... An easy inexpensive one is 2X2 wood, and chicken wire... then make a pen that is about 3 feet tall by 4 feet by 6 feet.... leave the bottom without any chicken wire so they can nest and poop in the grass but cover the top so nothing can get in that way.... or you can get stakes and chicken wire and make a more temporary pen, but try to cover the top..... Do this for month or more so they can get used to sleeping outside instead of in the house, It's going to be a big transition for them, then you can start letting them out for the night and they will be fine, but make sure you put them up brfore dark or they might already be ready for bed out in the pond and not want anything to do with you! that's how ours got
    SouthernRoses

Answer by SouthernRoses at 11:46 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• i build then a pen that they could escape to if need to be...my aunt always used old dog houses for her and chicken wire fence encloser.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 3:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2009