kitties & a 2.5yr old. . . . .

My MIL gave us 2 9wk old kittens a week ago. My dd (2.5) has been treating them very badly. She pulls them by their tails, picks them up, squeezes them too hard.
We are trying to teach her to be nice to them. just pet them nicely. ect. but so far no luck.
Should we keep trying to teach her how to treat them? Or is she at a bad age to just be getting pets? Should we give them back to MIL?
Any advice would be great!
Please dont bash, we are trying our best ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Pets

• Rainmommy, not all toddlers treat animals that way. We've had pets since my son's been born. We've taught him not to treat them that way. He just turned two, and while he does get rough when he PLAYS with them, he doesn't do it out of the blue.

To the OP, just keep spanking her and telling her to apologize. Eventually, the cats will get tired of it, and your daughter will learn. :)
    Anonymous

• Keep trying to keep teaching how to treat animals. He needs to know. The kitties will help do that too! If he does something they really don't like they'll let him know, and that will also help teach him not to do that again! It will get better.
    mamatware

Answer by mamatware at 11:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my dd wouldn't ever do that & she's the same age as yours, if she does it again spank her bottom & tell her "we are not mean to animals"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yesterday we started spanking her & making her say sorry to the kittens... we also try to explain to her what she is doing is not nice. it hurts the kitties & makes them cry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• One of my kids was like that and when nothing worked we just let the kittens tell them no. Most cats will give a soft warning such as a small scratch or soft bite before they get real mad and cause real harm. After a couple of scratches my dd knew that what she was doing was hurting them and they wern't going to take it. She was 3 at the time. Just make sure it's when your watching and can step in so she doesn't get hurt real bad. If your against doing that then it might be a good idea to give them back. Also let her know that if she keeps being mean then they will start hiding and won't come out to play with her. Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• sadira
    thanks for the advice. so far they have not done anything but call out if she is hurting them.. we keep hoping they will defend them self so she will learn.... my sister told me the same thing-to let them teach her, but so far they are not protecting themself. ..

Im just worried she will end up hurting on of them seriously before she can learn. or im afraid if she doesnt change soon the cats will start getting aggressive to everyone & just become mean cats :( .
    Anonymous

• all toddlers treat animals this wayy its perfectly normal u just have to remind her to be nice to them and doent say anything when the kittens scratch her she'll learn in her own time.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 2:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• thanks for all the advice ladies...
    sadly we wont be keeping the kittens.. DH talked to his family & his brother is wanting them & DH is alright with giving them up because I think hes tired of hearing me be in a bad mood from having to deal with the discipline & stress of it...
    Im pretty sensitive when it comes to animals being mistreated so DD is stressing me to the max.

We have decided we will wait until our kids are old enough to want pets & hold responsibility for them...
    I think if DD would have been raised from birth with them around she would be fine. but right now sadly its not going to work! :-(
    Anonymous