Would you consider over feeding your child to the point of morbid obesity should be considered a form of child abuse?

I really want to know your opinions on this! I watch these shows where the kids are like 100 lbs over weight at 8 years old. Mom is making them pizzas, cookies, bacon, sausage, chips, little debbie, and the list goes on and on, in excessive amounts! These kids seem like they are constantly being fed and every time they are seen on tv they are watching tv and eating a huge amount of food? I'm not sure how to feel about this. Something seems neglectful about it in a way, not to mention dangerous. IDK....

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Absolutely.

When it comes to raising kids, anything in either extreme is a bad choice. If not feeding a child enough is a crime then why not feeding too much? They're both harmful and potentially dangerous to the child.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 2:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Troll
    Anonymous

• Ummm okay....I don't see how that pertains to this..
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• yes
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I see it too. I actually have a member of my husband's family who does this. If they're kid makes a peep they feed it. Her 7 month old wights the same as my healthy 2 year old. Its creepy.

It is normally a form of neglect but not a punishable one Idon't think. Lots of kids emotional needs are neglested and fed with something else, be it tv, food, or stuff.

Its a horrible trend that is prevelant in this world, where kids are no longer a blessing but a burden. Now a days people dont WANT kids like they used to. Most are more concerened with careers, what type of car they drive and how big their houses are.

People don't want to deal with their kids on a emotional/mental level so they just pawn them off on food or tv or something else.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• The parent who overfeeds as such is mentally ill. Set a kid up for enjoying such fattening foods, and he will be so used to eating those foods that he does not have much of a chance at changing when he is an adult. It is a form of child abuse because the parent is ruining the child's life. It sets up the kids for mental issues (discrimination), diabetes, and all sorts of health issues, including pain in the joints (due to obesity) and the list goes on. Unfortunately, these cases tend to occur in less intelligent, less affluent families. We live in an affluent community where most everyone has a college degree and 70% have graduate degrees and there are almost no overweight children in the elementary schools.

I did watch a show where the whole family went on a diet/exercise program and all lost weight, but don't know if they could continue it.
    Anonymous

• yes and whats more annoyin is when the mom brags about it my ex sis in law has 3 her oldest is 6 at 150 and her youngest is 18 months and 65lbs....65 i cant believe that my oldest is almost 7 and weighs 45....i posted a blog about obesisty and the statistics...and she is like well some ppl cant help it im doing everything i can i dont feed my kids junk food...ironically she posted pics 2 days after that email show her kids eating a whole box of cookies from wall mart deli one kid eating a whole birthday cake by himself again from wal mart deli...
    i dont see how its any differnt to feed a child unheathy food all the time and get them to the point where at 6 yrs the child has to be on meds for high cholesterol and high BP....if a child is severly underweight they ripped form the parents/guardians home with out second though
    Anonymous

• I hate parents that allow their kids to each bad foods and sodas at such a young age. its not healthy! it is a form of abuse. and dont say you feel like a bad parent if you dont feed them. you should feel like a bad parent for starting such a horrible thing! after watching so many shows like that ive always been very careful on what i give my daughter. i love my daughter and want her to be nice and healthy. she thinks crackers are a snack. she loves her fruits and veggies and thinks those are her snacks. yougurt is a snack...see what im sayin? their babies if you teach them young that the healthy things are the snacks then you wont have a problem! and im not gonna be like that her whole life. but im not gonna put her health in danger! and i hate absolutely HATE when people try to sneak and give her something sweet! dont give my child that if you wanna do that YOU have a kid and do whatever you want but dont ruin mine!
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I guess I would consider this a form of neglect yes. I mean a little person does not get morbidly obese without some aid from their care giver. For a mom to keep pumping a kid full of fat and sugar and not stress the importance of GO OUT AND PLAY is being neglectful to their childrens health physically and emotionally. Even if I pretty much lived a sedintary life style, I would make sure my children were into sports etc, or at least got out to ride a bike and play or swim. In my opinion the parent is accountable yes.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yes, I think it's a form of abuse.

But I don't think cutting unhealthy foods out completely is the answer like kuuipo317 said. The answer is to teach them moderation. They WILL be exposed to sweets and things as they grow up. In school, at birthday parties, at friends' houses, etc. It can't be avoided.

My kids got cookies for dessert last night. They got 1 homemade cookie each and that was after they had a good, nutritious dinner.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2009