Sleepless Child! Help?!?!

My son is 3 1/2 years old and has a VERY difficult time falling asleep and staying asleep. Bedtime is 8:30. Without a nap, he is up until 11pm-midnight... With a nap, he is up until Midnight-1am. He wakes up between 6am-7am.
His Pediatrician suggested Melatonin... DOESN'T WORK! At least not on my son... lol. I then tried Valerian(herbal sleep aide)... DOESN'T WORK!
The other problem, is that he wakes up in the middle of the night and gets into EVERYTHING. This morning, I woke to find my birth control pills (were put up where i thought he couldn't get them), dice, an oven mitt, a formerly whole pack of gum with half the gum M.I.A., and an opened pocket knife that he HAD to have climbed my bookshelf to get. This is getting dangerous.
I thought about putting a doorknob cover on the inside of his bedroom door, but he is potty trained, and wouldn't be able to get out if he had to go potty. HELP!!!!!!!

AmaraNicole

Asked by AmaraNicole at 12:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try a noise machine. They help my son fall asleep and stay asleep, he loves the sound of a heart beat.

You could put an alarm on his door, you can buy them at Walmart. Opening the door would startle him, and alert you that he is out of bed. ^_^
    Kodeekins

Answer by Kodeekins at 4:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Surprisingly enough, his dad (who has no clue when it comes to children) suggested that to me. The alarm, I mean. He'd figure out how to bypass it though. He is extremely smart when it comes to that kind of stuff. When he was 10 months old, he figured out that he could slide toys behind the outlet covers and pop them out of the outlet. So much for baby proofing... lol
    AmaraNicole

Answer by AmaraNicole at 9:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I read your post and all I could think of was my son. LOL I know how you are feeling. Do some reading up on ADHD. Less sleep, super smart, etc. are all signs. And just like ADHD med is a stimulant, it works backwards (to calm ) a hyper child. The sleep pills you have tried may be doing the same thing. Working backwards. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Anonymous: Really ADHD? Can they diagnose it at 4 years old?? I have been wondering if m son could be lately, but not sure how to go about checking into this. Have read some things, but not for sure. Should I just take him to his ped or a speciaist or something?? Suggestions?

AmaraNicole I know just how you feel. My son is up all hours of the night screaming and crying, throwing things and hitting things. Finally we took all his toys of of his room (he was runining them all throwing them anyway). We just have to be consistant as hard as it is and be patient which is even harder to do. We got him a radio and this has seemed to help some. Gets to pick out a station to listen to and helps give him something to do while laying there. Might be worth a try!
    ButterflyMeli

Answer by ButterflyMeli at 8:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2009