I babysit at home and they havent been paying me...Kind of long But I could use some advice...

I babysit at home for a friend of my husband. They have two children 3 and 4 months, I provide breakfast and lunch and I have them monday threw friday from 6:30 to 8:30 and I only charge them $80 a week. The dad was sick for 2 weeks and wasnt able to work so they were having trouble with bills and the mom didnt know what to do so I said pay your other bills and you can pay me back in payments when you have the money and she was very gratful and said she would help with food, well she hasnt helped with food in 6 weeks and I have only recieved 80 dollars from her in those 6 weeks and the dad has been back to work for 4 weeks. I have problems talking to people about money and i was wondering if I could get some advice on how to talk to her about paying me without being rude. I was going to show her the paper I have been keeping track of what she owes me and offering her a copy and telling her I expect more money this week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• I get myself in binds like this too because it is hard for me to bring up uncomfortable supjects until im ready to blow. It would be best to discuss it now before it gets more out of hand. I would talk to her and say "I know you guys are going through hard times, but I really can't afford to do this for free because I have bills too. I really need you to start paying for the current weeks and I can set you up on a payment plan for the past due weeks. I will let you pay the 5 weeks over (how long you think is reasonable) so your payment this friday will be $100 or $120 for the next ___wks. I know it is hard times for everyone, but I depend on this money formy bills and I adore your little kiddos, but I need to be paid for my services. "
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• this mother is deffinitly taking advantage of you, she know that you're a nice person, just do what the person above says.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 12:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Don't be a doormat. $80 a week with you paying for food is ridiculous anyway. FREE is insane. Thats unacceptable. Tell her you're sorry but she needs to pat you 120 a week until its paid up and for now on she pays the week in advance or you arent watching the kids. Business is business...
    Anonymous

• Thank you very much for the advice. I am going to talk to her today when she comes to pick up her kids. I'm a little nervous because I hate that I HAVE to do this but I know I will feel so much better once its over with and I really do need to start getting payed again.
    Anonymous

• So by you letting her fix her problem your going to end up in a rut..NOT WORTH IT! its rough! i truly hope you can find the strength to tell her pay up or find a daycare, NOONE would do what your doing for so cheap!!! shes been lucky.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I agree with seetstkissez22 You're being extremely sweet in to this lady. I hate to see you being taken advantage of. Let us know how the talk goes! Good luck!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 2:18 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Well I gave her the sheet that I have been writing what she owes me each week on and she looked upset. Then I told her she needs to start paying on it and I need at least $100 at the end of this week because I need to be able to buy groceries next week. She just looked at me and said but you dont have the kids next week. (she has a week off work) and I couldnt believe she said that so I just said "yeah but my family still needs to eat" I didnt really know how to respond because I was in shock that she thought since her kids werent here that I wouldnt need groceries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2009