toddler bed?

My dd is 19 months old. I am wondering at what age should I put her in a toddler bed. She has not figured out how to get out of her crib yet... At what age is best?

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i put my dd in her toddler bed when she was 15 months old
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If she hasn't figured out how to get out of her crib, then why push it? I had to put my daughter in a twin size bed when she was 12 months old cause she kept climbing out of her crib and getting hurt or into trouble. So my opinion is just wait til they out grow their crib and then opt for either a toddler bed or other size bed. Personally, I think toddler beds are a HUGE waste of money since weight wise they are only recommended to be used for a year or so. Hope this helps best of luck girl!!!
    a.barkocy

Answer by a.barkocy at 1:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• The best for us was 15 months into a regular bed.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• This is very dependent on the child. As long as she isn't climbing out, leave her in the crib. If she never tries to get out, I'd aim for around 3 to move her to a bed. If you do wait until then, you may want to consider moving her directly to a bed vs a toddler bed. The upside to a todller be is that it's closer to the ground and smaller so it's a bit cosier for some kids. However, if the child is tall, she'll outgrow the toddler bed fairly quickly. Moving to a regular bed is then another transition. Depending on how well your child handles change, you may be better off with only one transition (directly to a bed) vs two. We moved our son at 22 months (when he climbed out of the crib) to a regular double bed with just one mattress (no box spring). I would have preferred to wait as he didn't quite understand the concept. Once he got use to it, he did just fine.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• We put Kat into a Toddler bed in February...she was 18 months & she has been great in it...no fits, sleeps fine, doesn't get up & get out.
    KatieBellsMom

Answer by KatieBellsMom at 3:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• We skipped the toddler bed and went straight from a crib to a twin size bed with a bed rail at 24 months. She only used the bed rail for maybe 2 months before I figured out she didn't need it. My little one was like yours she never once climbed out of her crib but I was afraid with all the bouncing she did in her crib she was going to break it. She loves her "big girl" bed! The first week or so was rough because she had a new found freedom and wanted to go in and out of her room and give me tons of kisses night night but I just consistently put her back in her bed, eventually she got she was supposed to stay in there! =)
    KaItLyNsMa21

Answer by KaItLyNsMa21 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I would keep your dd in the crib until she outgrows it or is climbing out. But if you want to move her out of the crib, I suggest placing a twin mattress on the floor so you don't have to waste your money on a toddler bed -and- a regular bed. Once she gets the hang of the big bed (mattress) and no longer falls off it, put it on some sort of frame. GL.
    Anonymous

• My son just turned 21 months & he started to climb out of his crib so we switched the crib to a toddler bed, I would of kept him in as long as he didn't climb out, the transition wasn't bad at all , I guess it's really up to you & if your baby isn't climbing what's the rush?
    Anonymous