How can we, as parents of Children with Autism Unite for the greater good of our children?

We,the parents of children with disabilities, fight daily for our children, who can not fight for them selves. I believe United we can stand devided we fail.

We as parents caregivers, may disagree on methods or therys and treatments, but we can respect each other enough to unite as a whole unit.

What I am racking my brain about is how to go about doing this? My only wish is to be a part of this group, and make sure judment is never allowed against anyone and respect is the main priority! Kindness has to be in the bi-laws!

twmac

Asked by twmac at 12:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Not sure how to go about it...but count me in
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 12:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• In my corner of the world I talk about it. I do not shy away from my son having autism. And in doing this I have raised awareness in my area among my friends & family & they in turn have also passed along some info to other people (friends, family and co-workers)
    I do not make autism the only thing I talk about, as with any topic, people will tune you out. But it is there, it is a huge part of our lives & it can and usually does have an impact (good or bad, big or small) on our daily lives. I do not do the "oh woe is me" , my child has autism feel bad for us. I do let people know & try to educate them. I let people know they can ask questions, & to not feel bad if they do not understand. (after all me & my DH didn't understand at first either & he is our son !! We keep a sense of humor about it. But we do take it seriously.
    I have a necklace that has a puzzle piece pendent, the only necklace I wear. People ask about it
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• This is something I personally struggle with! I don't have children with autism or any disability, but I have worked with children with autism for the last 4-5 years. I have discovered this to be my passion and couldn't imagine myself doing anything different. With that being said, my family was very UNAWARE of autism and didn't really understand other disabilities either! I have ALWAYS kept the door open for any kind of questions no matter the content. Of course people aren't going to understand why a child flaps his/her arms wildly and get enjoyment out of it. It's the job of parents, family, friends and caregivers of children with autism to open their eyes and provide a bit of enlightenment. My kids are very very award that there are children who are different than them and instead of staring or making fun, they ask questions and try to understand. Don't hide your emotion about it...it's meaningful to you ...and OTHERS! :)
    yaya3129

Answer by yaya3129 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2009