did anyone else know about this?

we sure could use it today:

Operation Wetback was a 1954 successful project of the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) to remove about three million illegal immigrants from the southwestern United States. It focused on Mexican nationals.

The effort began in California and Arizona and coordinated 1075 Border Patrol agents, along with state and local police agencies, to mount an aggressive crackdown, going as far as police sweeps of Mexican-American neighborhoods and random stops and ID checks of "Mexican-looking" people in a region with many Native Americans and native Hispanics. 750 agents targeted agricultural areas with a goal of 1000 apprehensions a day. By the end of July, over 50,000 immigrants were caught in the two states. Around 488,000 illegal immigrants are claimed to have left voluntarily for fear of being apprehended. By September, 80,000 had been taken into custody in Texas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I cant believe they called it operation wetback!! yikes! I'm all for getting rid of illegal immigrants, but didn't American start off with immigrants? Let's give the nation back to the native Americans and we all could GTFO!
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• It would be great, but America is such a "feel good" country with all of the bilingual signs and political correctness, the dems would NEVER allow it to happen!
    Anonymous

• Ahhhh. The good old days.
    Anonymous

• I say we take a step back in time! lol
    Anonymous

• I'm a dem and I'm all for it. If you're not a citizen, GTFO.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 1:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

love your answer!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• ... Oh, but that was racial profiling - and that is considered a far worse crime (to the politically-correct way of thinking) than breaking the law.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Hmmmmm....now if only we had strong MILITARY police personnel that could....oh, I dunno, help enforce the removal of illegals from this country? Wouldn't that be great sarah?

Oh, I forgot, you're anti-military. nevermind.
    Anonymous

• I'm a dem and I'm all for it. If you're not a citizen, GTFO...

Best said and AGREED!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• "Operation Wetback"??!!? That's obvious... why didn't they just call it Operation Lets Go Get The Mexicans Out of the US?
    I live around the Border Patrol, and 99% of them are really nice, intelegent men and women. That 1% plus the politicians that call the shots make the rest of them look like bigots.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2009