Easy flowers to plant and grow for beginners?

Ok, we just moved into our new house and our flower bed needs some serious work. However, I have never planted anything in my life! So just wondering if you experienced gardening mamas have some tips/advice on what is easy to plant and maintain for a beginning gardener!

Thanks!

Svarne

Asked by Svarne at 1:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• its actually a great year for tomato plants, which i find much more useful than flowers. they run about 3 dollars a plant, just get a bag of enriched soil, mix it with your dirt, dig a hole and put the plant in. then water. not hard.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Petunias are easy and smell so nice. The first year I had a flower bed I dug up the soil and added some Miracle Grow potting soil. I mixed them together and planted petunias. They were the nicest ones on our street. Just be sure to remove all dead flowers and pinch the top of the plant off so they spread out instead of getting really tall.
    I should say that once you start it is easy to become addicted.
    Happy gardening!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If you are looking for flowers, I find that any flower that says "drought resistant" is great! lol. They are generally very hardy plants and once you have them established (generally after a week or 2 of TLC) they flourish.

Annual's flower seasonal, and Perennial's flower year round.

Don't buy from a nursury, they are super expensive. Go to someplace like KMart, WalMart, Target, etc.

Also, like Staciandababy said, grab a bag of enriched soil (I used Miracle Grow soil) and just rake it into your current soil to mix it in.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Petunias, zinnias, marigolds. All are easy to grow from seed, and they are even easier from plants. See what you local stores have and give them a try.

Answer by Bmat at 1:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Kmart is a good place to get your flowers/plants. My tomato plants are great! I have raised flower beds which are easy to get into along side of my back patio and covered porch. They are doing good.

I agree with Carolyn. And a few pansies are easy to grow too!

Good luck!
    Mystik-Skye

Answer by Mystik-Skye at 1:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I have always heard lilies and sunflowers are EASY. This is the first year I have tried anything, last year I was just dealing with moving into the house. I just planted some lilies in our flower box. I also have hostas (I LOVE hostas!) and they pretty much live through anything. Believe it or not, I bought a little dixie cup looking thing at Lowes with three pumpkin seeds in it for my daughter. My Husband and I didn't think it would grow. Here we are three months later and the vine is over 10 inches long! Hubby says it will be ready just in time for Halloween!!!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Pansies for the fall/winter and periwinkles for the spring/summer.....they are super, super easy to grow. If my brown thumb of death (I have no green thumb at all) can grow them year after year, anyone can grow them.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If you have a spot that is mostly sunny or gets sun until at least noon I would suggest perenials. They come back year after year, are a good investment and come in a plethora or sizes, colors and bloom times. I love my perenial garden as there is something blooming in it from spring until frost and maybe even beyond. For the most part I make sure it is watered well and use Miracle Grow once a week. Other than weeding, it is lovely and a great way to boost property value. Happy growing!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Just about ANY perennial plant will be easy to grow....reblooming daylilies, black eyed susan, daisies, butterfly bush, hostas will all make instant impact in your flower beds, and daylilies, black eyed susans, and daisies can be divided (by simply slicing and separating the clump with a shovel) after a few seasons and transplanted to other parts of your home....FREE FLOWERS!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2009