I need ideas about how to keep my 11month old happy on a long car ride!

Gonna have to take a road trip in July and was wondering what are some good ways to keep my little one happy!

thaddysmom

Asked by thaddysmom at 1:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start out in the middle of the night. Pick the baby up and change him with very little fuss, put him in the car and start driving. You can get many as 4 hours of free time- that is it cuts the trip by 4 hours for baby. After that, stop every hour or two to let the baby move around out of her or her car seat. Have non-messy snacks and drinks for use when riding along. Every time baby's attention is distracted, it shortens the ride. Pull out favorite toys in between snacks. Or even a few cool new toys- they don't have to be expensive, just something new. You can wrap them in tissue paper to make it take longer to open them- every distraction is good. The frequent stops are important for the baby's comfort.

Answer by Bmat at 1:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• To clarify, the starting out in the middle of the assumes the baby will fall back to sleep for several hours and not even realize they are in the car.

Answer by Bmat at 1:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• when my kids were small like that, we would leave really early in the morning, because then most likely they would sleep most of the way back to my hometown. It was athree hour trip for us so if we left at 6 am we'd get there by 9 and our kids at that age usually weren't awake until 8, so that was two hours that they slept in the car and one hour of traveling with them awake. It is also cooler usually then too so that helps. Just get used to the idea that it is going to take about twice the usual number of stops. That way you can all get out, stretch, and spend some time together. Instead of being stuck in the car. Think of it a journey! Not getting from point A to point B in the least amount of time. Bring things you know will soothe them, favorite music from Disney or a special toy that they like. Also sit in the back with baby for part of the trip, that way its easier to entertain them.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I agree with Bmat--start at night & drive as much as possible while baby is sleeping. If baby falls asleep, drive! Besides snacks & toys, make sure baby is as comfy as possible. Soft cotton clothes, clean diaper at every stop, a light blanket to cover up during naps if the A/C gets too cold. Play games based on what you see outside the windows--whether it be farm animals or buildings. You can also feed baby in the car as a distration. Not just snacks, but meals. When I have to travel with my kids, I start early in the morning. I stop about an hour down the road & get them breakfast to eat in the car or pass out cereal bars & milk. I've traveled all over multiple states with my kids at all ages of their lives & they are usually great. Be patient & have fun!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I'm not sure how long of a trip you are taking but we took an 11 hour trip from Mo to CO with a 1 year old and a 3 week old. We left early early in the morning and they slept the first 4 hours of the trip and we were able to drive those first 4 hours without stopping. When they woke up we stopped and let the 1 year old run around and get his energy out and then we got back in the car and gave him milk and french toast sticks. We kept toys, snacks, pacis, and juice at hand. I bought snacks that I normally wouldn't let him have as a treat when he started to fuss. We did not stop every hour. We stopped when he got fussy and really needed to get out. We went by his signs. If you have a portable dvd player it will be a lifesaver. We just bought one and it keeps our 2 year old and 1 year old occupied when we drive 3 hours to KC. We leave thursday for an 11 hour trip to MI with a 1 year old and a 2 year old.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 1:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2009