has anyone ever had a gecko for a pet?

if so did it ever lose it's tail or have it broken off and did it grow back ok ?

did you take it to a reptile vet or just wait and see if the ghecko looked ok?

can the tail be put back on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I used to work for a pet store, and I have 3 mature leopard geckos now. The tail coming off will not harm the gecko; sometimes they fall off due to stress or simply get it caught. Some breeds of geckos will grow their tail back, some will not. Leopard geckos will. You cannot put the tail back on; if you leave it in the cage chances are the gecko will eat it (ya gross I know). You should watch for several days and see if his coloring changes. Stressed out geckos will stay a dark color, almost black. If he is seriously stressed out then you need to make sure his temp is ok, he has food but not too much, and there is proper lighting in the cage for that species (some are nocturnal and will freak out if the light is being left on constantly). If his color does not return to normal then I would seek a reptile vet. Good Luck and feel free to write me if you need more info!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 3:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Mine never lost it's tail...but Ido know it is normal thing to happen, and it cant be put bck on. If it looks infected or something I might call your vet but otherwise it is normal and just see if it will come back on its own.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2009