Any ideas on how to sleep more comfortable on your side?

I've been trying my hardest to sleep on my left side, but with all this extra weight, half way through the night I wake up because my hip hurts so bad. I try to only lay on my right side for a few hours and then flip to my left again, but it is so uncomfortable. I'm only 26 weeks, so I know I still have a ways to go. Just wondering if any of you have any tricks for how to sleep more comfortable. Thanks.

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I prop my leg on DH and when I have to turn I use a pillow to prop my leg.
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 1:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• we got a memory foam pad for the mattress, haven't had a stitch of pain since.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Hopefully someone will have ideas because I'm having the same problem lol!
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• a body pillow, one of those really long pillows you can get them at walmart, target etc..and they are so comfortable. you can wrap your legs around it and put part of it under your belly to support your belly. (they are pretty cheap too like maybe $10-$15)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• well I tried laying on the floor and that worked....but we also have a no shoes policy in our house so the floor isnt nasty...now I bought an air mattress because it conforms to my belly shape and I like this...I stopped the mattress a while ago cuz it made backpain worse but hopefully I can return later...I also lay on my left when possible and straighten my left leg out and fol my right leg over a pillow so Im leaning inward but my belly doesnt get the pressure
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I went through the exact same thing around that stage. My hips were constantly sore and I was in a lot of pain for a couple weeks. Are you sleeping in a bed alone? That might help. I was sleeping with my fiance and one night I was crying from the pain so I went and slept by myself in another bed. It gave me more room to spread my legs out, and I could actually have a pillow between my legs...it helped alot. My doctor told me it has to do with your hips widening and loosening up for birth so there might not be much else you can do to help. Just try sleeping by yourself, you aren't already, and keep the pillow between your legs and spread them apart as much as you can to be comfortable. Good news...the hip pain went away around my 30th week.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I'm overweight 31 week pregnant and in the WORST pain of my life and i'm told it only gets worse, so if any of this works for you PLEASE e-mail me.
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 2:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I do not sleep alone. I sleep with my husband. I've also have been using one of those body pillows designed for pregnant women, and always have a pillow between my legs, but I'm still sleeping on my side, which makes my hip hurt. I will probably try the memory foam pad idea. I read online to put that on top of your mattress under the sheet, but wasn't sure if it was worth the money. Thanks for all the ideas. Hopefully something will help, or it will go away. Thanks again.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• good luck, the foam pad has been amazing, i bought mine used off of craigslist.org for 40 dollars
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I hear ya!! I'm 26 weeks with twins and on bedrest. My hips hurt when I'm sleeping too. Mostly the right one. I sleep on whichever side is most comfortable that night. I found that using a heating pad ON LOW under the hip i'm sleeping on helps me. Just don't let the pad press on your belly at all. I also found that sleeping flatter, meaning fewer pillows under my head helps too. My OB suggested trying tylenol PM which I was nervous to take at first, but it's only tylenol and benadryl. Ido sleep through the night with it. Good luck to you!!
    TWOMUCHFUN09

Answer by TWOMUCHFUN09 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2009