If your doctor or midwife induced you with nipple stimulation...how many minutes did they have you do it for?

This is probably a strange question but here's my situation...

My blood pressure has gotten to the point where my doctor just doesn't feel it's safe to continue with my pregnancy. He wants me to come in this evening for an induction.

I expressed my serious concerns about being induced with pitocin & asked if he would be willing to let me try nipple stimulation first. He said yes but he wants to monitor me at the hospital while we're doing it since it can cause uterine hyperstimulation much like the over use of pitocin.

Thing is he said he's never done this with a patient before & isn't sure how many minutes your supposed to do it for, how long you rest inbetween, etc.

He said he's goig to contact a midwife he knows this afternoon to discuss it with her & see what she thinks.

He said he know how to monitor me but he's not sure about the nipple stimulation details.

I'm curious what did you HPC do with you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I gad preeclampsia with my pregnancy.. Nipple stimulation did not work for me at all... I was induced @ 39 weeks.. They put me on putocin and it wasn't that bad!! My contractions really didn't hurt til they broke my water... If its unsafe to continue your pregnacy for you and your babys sake let them do what they have to to keep you and that baby healthy... I deliverd a 9 pound 9oz baby boy yesterday on potocin and let me tell you it was so worth it...
    RyHouston

Answer by RyHouston at 1:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I nursed my oldest throughout pregnancy and I'm not sure that it helped him come any earlier than he would have. He came exactly on his due date that was given on his ultrasound without any type of inducers. There are other things you can do to help. walking up and down stairs, doing lunges etc will help the baby drop. My midwife gave me some homepathics, it didn't help induce labor but it helped shorten labor and make it easier I believe. I hear that evening primrose will help soften the cervix, so you can try that, and taking a warm bath helps open the cervix,. I took a LOT of calcuim lactate during my entire pregnancy and when I was inlabor I doubled the dose, it helps with many things along with encouraging a relaxed and normal labor. And relax, the more tense you are the more labor will stall.
    Other things to help encourage labor are visualizing your cervix opening, homeopathic Caulophyllum 200x (which is what I took..
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• cont. castor oil some people said works and other said don't try it, but I think its better than pitocin. Stimulating the uterus can help induce contractions with or without oil, you can make a infusion of blue cohosh and use with an enema, have an orgasm (have sex), rub and gently pinch your nipples (don't know for how long sorry),
    I hope this helps and that you can go into labor without the use of pitocin.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• also, here are some remedies for pre-eclampsia, increase your potassium (banans and potatoes), raw beet juice, dandelion leaves, b vitamins as well.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't let another man, doctor or not (especially one who's not even sure how to do it) try to stimulate my nipples for contractions.

Something about that is just wrong in my opinion. There are plenty of other things that you could do.
    ours

Answer by ours at 2:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2009