Slimy poop

okay so I don't want anyone to be grossed out, but my sons poop has been really slimy since yesterday.... the consistency is just a little more runny than usual and I wonder if I should call the Doc. I just hate calling for nothing since my doc now charges 20$ per call... Oh and yes I am nursing! He is 3 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmm...well, if you were filling in for the veggies with carbs, that could change baby's poop, especially if you normally don't eat as many carbs. I know it does it for adults so it would only make sense that it would go into breastmilk. That is crazy that you have to pay to talk to the nurse! Definitely check your local hospital. You can check your social services websites as well. Even if you don't receive any benefits, the county health department may have a nurse answer line & that should be open for everyone regardless of income. Otherwise, just wait it out. Baby poop will change a LOT before you are done with diapers & as long as baby seems healthy otherwise, he is probably just reacting to a change in your diet.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Did you eat anything new or different? Sometimes babies can react to something unusual in breastmilk. Did you give your DS any water or anything? Did you take any medications? If you can think of anything that was "off" in your diet, go back to what you regularly eat & see if that helps your DS. Can you call & talk to the nurse without the $20 charge? I've done that several times when I have just a quick question. Nurses are wonderful & they will know if it is something truly serious that needs to be referred to the doctor. Your insurance company or your local hospital may also have a nurse hotline where you can call for free & talk to a nurse. Best of luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Nothing new just been eating less veggies (was visiting and they don't eat as many). No water or meds. And I wish I could call and talk to the nurse without spending 20 $! I don't know if the hospital has a hotline but I will look, Thanks!
    Anonymous