I am a new mom and have been told over and over not to let my baby sleep on her stomach because of SIDS. She only wants to sleep on her stomach and will only last an hour or two when put on her side or back. I am getting no sleep. I don't know what to do because she sleeps so well on her stomach,

Have tried the sleep positioners but she falled down in it and crys.
Hate sleeping on her back. She can turn her head both ways and lift it, so I thought that would make sleeping on her stomach more safe. If you put her on her side she will flip to her stomach. She is 7 weeks old.

esquinn

Asked by esquinn at 1:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This will probably be the least popular answer you get ---- but all my kids always slept on their stomach.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• i'm also a new mom, and have a 4 week old i usually change her positions at night i also let her sleep on her tummy she wakes up when she gets tired and she can also lift her head and arms since she was born, she don't sleep on her tummy all the time,and as long as you are a light sleeper and ckeck on her i don't see why not?
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 1:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I would put my daughter on her side in her crib and she wud always roll on her stomach and sleep..so i always say if they can move around a lot and all that then let ur daughter sleep like that!..and maybe get up once or twice to check on her if u think u need to
    nicole0709442

Answer by nicole0709442 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my son could pick his head up from the day he was born (no joke) I let him sleep on his stomach. I think that real issue is with babies who can not lift head, are preemies, sickly etc etc.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 2:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My son has been sleeping on his tummy since day one. I have got many good nights sleep because of it and he developed his neck muscles earlier because of it to I belive.
    If she can raise her head and turn it she will probably be ok. I also have an angel care monitor and that gives me better peace of mind.
    Katie0224

Answer by Katie0224 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Well...I look at it this way. Knowing that tummy sleeping increases the risk of SIDS, is a little sleep for you worth the risk that your baby might never wake up again?

Answer by gdiamante at 3:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My twins have been tummy sleepers since 2 weeks. They could hold their heads up from birth, no joke I have video, and would only sleep 20-30 minutes on their back/side. When I finally gave in to putting them on their tummy they slept for 3-4 hours every nap! Of course I was checking their breathing every 30 minutes and didnt get ANY sleep for a while, lol. Also, when DD was 5 days old she starting choking on her own spit (it was thick cuz she was lactose intolerant and we didnt know) and couldnt breath. It scared me so bad that she slept on her stomach the next nap.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 3:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• im also a new mom i have son same at ur daughter sleep in tummy,my nurse told me that it ok the baby sleep in tummy bec he can go breath now and move his head,but still u need to check ur baby evry minutes,,,goodluck
    beth962

Answer by beth962 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Blah, I'd be more worried about vaccines causing SIDS than sleeping on the tummy. My lil girl did it and she's still alive and kickin!
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2009