What do I do if my LO is frantic at the breast?

My LO is 13 days old. He BFs well, but initially he has some trouble latching. He latches and then pops off and sometimes it takes me about 5 minutes to establish a feeding session. He also shakes his head back and forth trying to find my breast, even if it's right there. Sometimes, I have to switch him to the other breast and he is fine. Any advice would be most helpful.

bhwrn1

Asked by bhwrn1 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would suggest meeting with one of your local La Leche League leaders for information and support. Everything you've described is typical newborn behavior. Remember, babies learn to breastfeed by breastfeeding, don't worry mama!
    Also, it's common for babies to prefer one breast to another. Try offering his least favorite breast when he's drowsy.
    Anonymous

• Breastfeeding is often difficult at the start, but so beautiful. I had a diificult time with it for a few months, I kept at it, and so did baby, I spoke to many lactation experts and found there advice helpful but I found different feeding positions with trial and error to work out in the end
    tiffany.30

Answer by tiffany.30 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My son would do that too... he wanted his milk NOW! Try expressing a little before he eats so that you have already let down... that might help. And maybe try some different holds... if he does well on his right side, for example, do a foot ball hold on one side and a cradle hold on the other
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• It seriously sounds like overactive letdown...check this link out
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    Hopefully you read that and see similarities because it helped me TONS
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Eventually you will need Lansinol for soreness! My nipples looked like I had Leprosy! I do recomend a La leche call..they are great!Anyway he is just born so it can be quite the challenge at first but sooooo worth it after a couple of months!
    evy500

Answer by evy500 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2009