I am curious if primrose oil really works to help you dilate and efface starting at 0 dilation and how quickly did it work

happyplus3

Asked by happyplus3 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Castor oil and primrose oil is dangerous to use, and it NEVER recommended by a doctor. How far along are you? if your willing to risk your child's life using these wife's tails there is an issue. if your 38-42 weeks go to your L&D and tell them you need to be induced, your unformatable, in pain, and having a hard time breathing. After 39 weeks they cant refuse an induction.

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 1:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Why is primrose oil dangerous?
    ours

Answer by ours at 2:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• It's not...someone just needs to do some research a little bit beter. Castor oil, that has it's problems, but EPO is not found to have any complications.

As for your question though. It can take up to a few weeks to show any real progress when taking it orally. It works very slowly that way. If you are wanting something faster, try inserting it vaginally, although that can be very very tricky especially if your cervix is really far back, but if you can reach it open a few of the pills and rub the oil on your cervix. It will only soften your cervix it is still up to your body to say when it is ready to start effacing and dilating, though it makes the job easier with a softer cervix.

Please dont ask the hospital to induce, there are alot more complications with doing that than there is anythig you could try at home. Here is a site that has alot of info on it. http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/natinduc.htm
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• The primrose oil was recommended by my doctor to use the day before induction. She wanted to buy gel capsules and put 6-8 up there to soften the cervix. I don't recommend it

1. I DID nothing to help my cervix soften or in dialation

2. It leaked out all night, made a mess of me and my sheets

3. The only humerous thing I found about it was saying to my husband "My vagina smells like roses, and for once it REALLY DOES"

Don't waste your money, sheets and a good nights rest on something that won't do a darn thing!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I took it orally for about a week between apointments and I went from tight and closed not effacing at all, to very soft, 1 1/2 cm, and about 70% effaced in a week. That was taking it orally and inserting few capsuls the night before. I poked a hole in the gel caps so the oil could leak out all night, it was messy in the morning, but for me it worked.
    Anonymous