Do you have any lunch ideas that fit this criteria?!

I am tired of my husband spending money EVERY weekday on breakfast and lunch. I have offered to pack food for him so that we can save the money, but he just gave me reasons why he cannot take his lunch. He is a soldier, and since he does not live in the barracks or have a vehicle, he has nowhere to store food but in his backpack and he thinks it will get squished. He also cited that he has nowhere to heat food or keep it cold. So, any ideas for lunches that will keep in a backpack and do not need to be heated up, but will still fill up a busy soldier?

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• They make lunchboxes with hard inserts so they can't get squished. He could take sandwiches, pasta salads, we like cold pizza/fried chicken, and you can get ice paks to put in the lunchbox to keep the stuff cold. If you get a thermos he can take soup or hot leftovers, and they should stay hot until he's ready to eat them. Hot dogs can also be kept warm in a thermos. I've heard that you can wrap food in tin foil and it will stay warm, but I've never done it, so I don't know how well it works.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yeah I have one of those luchbags and they are nice. um.. he could take sandwitch and chips. buy the ready to eat tuna. other then those two tropicalmama has good ideas.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I can see that if he must carry things around in a backpack, and eat in not very convenient areas- such as not in a cafeteria or office, that messing with food- a sandwich that might get squashed if not in a hard container- and even then carrying the hard container, and maybe an ice pack, around, and even the tuna in packages- that means messing with the eating utensil, and if he has to carry hard containers, then there is carrying a dirty container back home or washing it there- yuck. So it would seem that it would be best for him to just buy his meals- eat it and forget it. Besides, if the other guys are buying theirs, he may feel uncomfortable messing with his own.

Answer by Bmat at 2:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yes, Bmat, it is true that buying his lunches is more convienient for him. However, it gets a bit expensive for us when he is buying fast food every weekday! Even the "mess hall" is rather over-priced.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Ah, this is NOT a food question, it's a relationship one. Those are simply excuses, NOT reasons. With the money you save in a year from not buying lunch out, you could easily pay for a nice vacation, or a downpayment on a nice toy with four wheels and an engine.

The key is getting him to see that- you've got all the lunch ideas you need ;D.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I use to work on construction and understand where he is coming from. But I also know that there is camping stuff out there. I bought camping dishes like the spoon,fork, and knives that snaps together and comes in a plastic bag. I know they have containers that on top of it lids can carry a fork. Plus, the camping gear is also metal, light and it either folds or it has many ways to transfrom into something else. Shot rubbermaid and other companies has containers out there that does double duty. I still have a container that you put salad in the bottom and dressing on the top. Close the small lid and then snap it together. When it is ready for lunch all I have to do is push a button on top of the lid and shake. I would get on the internet and look for these dishes or look for it in your store or a thrift store. Shot even a thermo can keep last nights casserole dinner hot, just heat up and place in a thermo...like chili mac.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 8:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2009