Foreign language for kids? Spanish classes?

I want to get my son speaking a different language, you know, give him that edge by starting young. I've looked into several programs...and really like the viva espanol and Langokids. Anyone have any comments? is 4 too young to start? too late?

Mommathatsme

Asked by Mommathatsme at 2:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Check with you local library system --- or, if you're in a rural area, that of the nearest metropolitan area.

Mine has a LARGE collection of databases for just about everything... one being Mango Language. They just switched from Rosetta Stone. It's the same program you'd have to pay hundreds for, accessible for free through the library's website. All you need is your library card.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Bueno! Bon! The earlier the better. I taught my children basic counting and words in three languages in addition to English from the time they started speaking.

Answer by Bmat at 2:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• He is definatly not too young. Go for it...the earlier you start with a foriegn language, the better. And, do it with him and learn too. You can then speak it with him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My daughter goes to LangoKids classes! Are you in the SF Bay area? I have her in Spanish classes, and she's only 5 (turning six in september! yikes!). I thought it sounded a little intense for a kindergartener, but the classes are so fun and she is making great progress! The teachers are great and the stories and dolls are so great! There's a cool CD we listen to in the car with music, and I've picked some up along side my daughter! She's also going to a summer camp they have too. Check it out! but no matter what program, get them going early! the sooner the better! there is no wrong time to start!
    k.b.momma

Answer by k.b.momma at 2:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Not too young at all. My kids are in a french immersion school. Immersion means they hear only french in the classroom from the very first day of school. Obviously when it comes to safety the teacher will use english, but my oldest is in grade 5 (almost done) and is quite fluent in french, my middle son in in grade 1 and does quite well. My youngest is 3, but he will be going into french immersion as well. Learning a second language makes it that much easier to learn a third, fourth, ...
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Check around for magnet or charter schools in your area, too. My son is going to attend a charter school and they start Spanish lessons in Kindergarten.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is going to Spanish Immersion school. Full on all day no english. She is really excited and I think it is a GREAT thing. ANY thing you can do in your area will not hurt (but not doing it will not hurt either)
    madzachmom

Answer by madzachmom at 4:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My honest opinion?!? (No bashing) These children are overworked and underplayed these days. We care more about educating them and sticking them with educational things that we forget what it was like to be a kid. I personally say, let your child play. If you want to teach her a foreign language, do it while playing together without the videos, computer games, television or any other mind numbing, non-active activity.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 7:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2009