whens the right time to give a baby a pacifer?

i have a week old and im breastfeeding him. since we are new at breastfeeding i dont want to give a pacifier to him to soon, i dont want him to end up rejecting my breast. The only reason i want to give him a pacifier is because he is starting to find his thumb and well you can take a pacifier away but you cant take a thumb away. so whens the right time to give a baby a pacifier when breastfeeding?

lovinmybbyboy

Asked by lovinmybbyboy at 2:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I gave all 3 of my kids pacifiers right away when breastfeeding, and there was no nipple confusion for them, but every baby is different.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• When I had babies, the expert at the time, Dr. Spock, said give them a pacifier from the first day, as much as they will take it, and at three months they'll spit it out and never want it again, which includes no sucking thumbs. My first was bottle fed, the second, breast. I did as was suggested, encouraged use of the pacifier, and for both children at three months they were no longer interested.

Answer by Bmat at 2:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• At that age all of the sucking really should be done at the breast. LLL recommends giving a pacifier after 6 weeks when your milk supply is well established.
    Anonymous

• I have twins and I have mixed feelings about pacis. we bottle fed since 4 weeks. I know that you can overpacify a breastfed baby. Both of my girls sucked their thumbs early on and both stopped after a few weeks. One is hooked on the paci now because it was the only way I could get her to sleep. the other uses her two middle fingers and has always rejected the paci. She also likes to take a satin trimmed blanket and rub her face with it to go to sleep, i think its the cutest thing ever!
    Anonymous

• with my daughter we gave her a binky when she was 2 days old. I was nursing and she would nurse constantly...i mean literally almost 24 hours a day. So the binky was necessary for her lol! She never had any issues with nipple confusion. My little boy hates the binky (also a nurser) but loves his thumb. So it really just depends on the baby!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2009