Does the church or congregation matter?

Here's the situation. My Dh and I want to find a church home. I know exactly where I want to go. However, the church in question is 1/2 hr away. They only have services on Sunday mornings. But this is the church I grew up in, so to speak. However, my Dh has never been to one of their services, due to the fact that until recently we did not live close enough to a congregation. Now we do, this is the same church we were married in, not the actual building, but the religious affliation. But right now DH works during their services on Sunday. I don't drive and we only have one car regardless. Now, my sister and my DH says that there are like 6 churches in our town (walking distance), just pick one and go! I say why should I go anywhere, just so I am going? Shouldn't doctorine matter? My sis, says the Lord will understand, used to be a town only had one church sometimes. I just think that its more important to be true

Lesli

Asked by Lesli at 2:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would pray about it. The answer will come.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• to your beliefs. Or should I just cave, and find something similar, even if its not exactly what I believe? Even though my kids might be getting the wrong message?
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 2:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I think it'd be worth looking into the local churches. They may have the same views as your church. You can even call and speak with the pastor/priest in regards to what their ministries are about. Every church I've ever called or visited has always taken the time to answer any questions I had.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If you feel at home with your church, I would stay. We attend a church about 45 minutes south of here, and there are 400+ churches in my town alone, no telling how many between here and there. But its a place where I feel my children will be taught the values and lessons that I feel are most important in a church, and I feel comfortable. The only downside to it being so far away is we're not able to be there more than 1-2x a week at most.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Go to the church that matches your beliefs. If it doesn't match, then don't go. The congregation IS important, the Bible commands us to go, but doctrine is very important. I used to drive an hour to church because it was the closest one that matched my faith.
    Anonymous

• OP: It would be like being Catholic, but your town doesn't have a Catholic church that you can attend. So do you attend a Protestant Church until circumstances change, because something is better than nothing? Its not like the difference between say Methodist and Congregationalist.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 4:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My advice would be to find out the differences between those churches and your denomination of choice. Then you can make an informed decision if you want to attend or not. I know that I have significant differences with certain denominations and would not attend those churches. However there are an abundance of Christian denominations and often the differences are minor. However, you are the only one who can decide if the differences are important to you.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• i guess you need to feel comfortable where you are.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 7:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If you feel that you can't find god's presense in any church but your own then do you really HAVE god? Isn't he supposedly ANYWHERE you go? With you 24/7? How will you know if another church won't become a good church for you if you don't give them a chance? My mother felt the same way. She refused to return to the church that had been hers for over 30 years because of the way the pastor behaved and because his sermons and chosen music were, in her words, "like funeral dirges!" And she was angry because she felt it was "her church". She didn't feel that he had the right to have driven her out. When I presented the above arguments to her, she ignored them. You will end up doing what you want to. You may lose possible blessings and friendships that might be in another church. But you will still end up doing what you want to do.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Witchqueen your answer confuses me. I can find the Lord anywhere, even my livingroom. That's not my problem. My question is should I attend a church that doesn't follow my faith, in order to have a church family? Is it okay that they might be teaching my children things that I don't believe? I admit that I am not very strong in the doctorine of this church, I didn't attend regularly when I was a child, but I am so at peace when I am there. I also disagree that I will do whatever I want to do. I am trying to figure out what I want to do. Not figure out if I am right over my sis and DH. These are large doctorine issues. Like I said before, kind of like being Catholic and attending a Methodist church because its better than not going at all.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 9:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2009