Has My Daughter Gone Nuts?

My 14 yr old daughter has been making the wrong choices like drinking,Smoking,not listing and talking back and stopped calling me mom she would call me by my name sandy for the last 2 mnths and I got one of the school councilors to talk to her to see Y she is making acting like this and they did and they told me she is upset knowing her took off after he found out she was a girl and upset knowing she use to be the reason Y he left me its a different reason today and that she upset cuz since her favorite grandma died 3 yrs ago. And now she just back from her dads last night she goes to his place every weekend and it was his mom that died and she tells me that her grandma talk to her on sat nite well she was in bed and her grandma been died for 3 yrs but it seems she is being the good girl again and I think its impossible her grandma talked to her so does this sound like she has gone nuts?

Sandy_Grease

Asked by Sandy_Grease at 2:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• It could be possible. Who knows! Just be grateful she is behaving again =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Wow! I never mention this to people but I can't comprehend what your wrote. You need some punctuation.

Anonymous

• I do not have a teen child however, I am only 22 so I do remember clearly how it was at 14. Its a mixed up time, at 14 shes what a freshmen or going to be. My whole freshmen yr was so messed up. Dealing w/ death issues dosent help out either (had more then my fair share) so there r a lot of why Q's there. JH was misserable for me I wasnt popular, etc. so there were a lot of emotions w/ that. Parents who have split (no matter what the reason) has all those Q's of why too. It's hard to seeing friends that have "normal" or "better" home lives (not saying ur DD has a bad homelife just saying she is most likely comparing her life to others & sees theirs as "better"). I really wish I had some advice for u. All I know is at that age I wigged out too & was very mixed up w/ drugs, drinking, sex, HS, friends, schoolwork, homelife, etc. I hope someone answers back w/ some advice :( hope all works out.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Part of it is normal and some may even be peer presure. I would get her in to talk to someone though to be sure.
    Anonymous

• Who was upset she's a girl, your daughter? your ex? If there are probs between you and ex that upsets tons of kids in separation and divorce and a death on top of that. Do you very best to get a schedule down for her. Tell her she can have her cell, computer (make it a choice for her) BUT in return she joins and also participates regularly in community groups. Libraries, 4H in your town and county and outside both are great for young people and even adults. Girl scouts. She's got to join two of them with your approval and your knowledge of active participation to keep her cell, computer, etc. If she refuses you can cancel her cell, computer until she behaves. Talk to her about Grandma and that she misses her and loves her, and that you acknowledge her feeliings (Even if you feel Grandma was a 6!+ch). Tell her you know she misses her dad and that you want her to see him.
    Anonymous

• She is just a girl.
    Anonymous

• When did this start??

I would be wondering who her friends are. Stay close to her and work on your relationship. Spend more time with her. Tell her that you love her and that you want to help her but that you will not be putting up with this attitude and misbehavior. Give her choices! Stick to them. Pray!
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 9:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Hi Sandy this is your ex sister in-law and Are you serious ok her dad is my brother so it was my mom that had a talk with her I don't believe it it's like impossible and it could of been Jerrica my mothers friend she can sound like my mom sometimes and like you said she was in bed and if krystals eyes were closed and was thinking of my mom maybe when Jerrica was talking to her she thought it was my mom and Jerrica knows that krystal will listen to my mom and hey why don't you come over sometime like just because your divorced with my brother doesnt mean we still can't spend anytime together.
    Suzy_Starlight

Answer by Suzy_Starlight at 1:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It sounds like your daughter is stressed, hormonal and needs some patience and understanding. It wouldn't hurt for her to see a counselor to help her deal with her grandmother's death. It is not so uncommon for her to say she was talking to her deceased grandmother. I talk to my deceased grandfather and he has been gone for 20 years. It gives me comfort to talk things out to the one person that always listened to me. Talking to a deceased relative or friend doesn't mean a person is crazy. I happen to agree with what suzy_starlight said, maybe you should listen to her. If you are really that worried, take her to a counselor so she has someone she can talk to.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2009