Why us? (CPS)

I don't understand what could have happened for someone to just report us to cps. It made me sad (the thought of them being here) I am like what the...

We are a very loving family we do alot of family things...I just don't get it.

She just said she wanted to ask questions to our kids and I am like OKkkkk.
Who reported us? she could not say :( I am beating my brains out trying to figure out who would do this :( I know our kids are not going anywhere but just the thought of them coming back (bc dh was not home earlier) Can you ladies make sense of this...talk to me....I'd greatly appreciate it.....:( sniff, sniff
The only thing I can think of there are times I yell but that is only when they really don't listen and I have repeated myself. Help! I am feeling blue :( thank you ladies for listening...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Are your kids school age? Teachers are mandated reporters so if your kids said or hinted to something questionable they have to report it. It could have been a rude neighbor. It could have been nasty family. Maybe a jealous friend? It sucks....just be careful who you share info with until you find out who did it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It could be anything. Don't feel so bad. Sounds like you are a good, loving mom and it happens to good people sometimes. If there's nothing to find, there's nothing to worry about. Don't beat yourself up.
    Anonymous

• Don't worry about it. I got reported once, and the lady was real nice. She said she had to look at my son--she couldn't ask him any questions because he was about 9 months old, but she looked him over, obviously well fed, clean, well-dressed, She glanced in my kitchen cupboards, and strolled through the house, then wrote "Unfounded" in red across the top page in her clipboard and smiled and left. I never heard anything else about it. I have no idea why she showed up, or who sent her, but it was okay.
    I think other people sometimes have nothing to do but run around looking for a house where there are children and reporting them to CPS.
    Anonymous

• People get reported for the weirdest things. A friend told her ex to help her pay for orthodontia bills, and her ex called CPS and said she was neglecting the kid's teeth. Since she had to have BEEN to the dentist in order have bills, in was obvious she wasn't.  They get lots of false reports; don't be too upset.  (Or try not to be, although I would be alternately furious and hurt.) 

Take care and good luck.

Anonymous

• Sounds like someone was being malicious. If you are yelling (and who could blame you, we all do it) it could be a neighbor?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• You can tell her you'd like to press charges for filing a false report, and she'll have to oblige once she finds it unfounded.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 7:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• A cousin of mine had a baby with minor birth defects so the baby had to stay in the NICU for about 3 weeks. About a week in, he developed an infection so they put a hold on any visitors to the baby except mom and dad. Dad's mother got really mad and called social services and said my cousin is being irrational and fears for the safety of her grandson.

Luckily social services caught wind of this when they made a routine appt with my cousin (apparently they had to do this visit for parents of children in NICU's)... It was unbelievable.

have you made any relative upset at you lately? Good luck!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't have even let the woman in my house, let alone speak to my kids.

I've never had CPS out here, but I did have the "school police" make a visit one day. He said they had a "concerned citizen" call because my kids weren't in school. I told him I homeschool & before I could even say another word he got out his clipboard and told me he was well aware of my rights & jotted some stuff down.

We then spent the next 15 minutes BSing about everything under the sun. The man never even got out of his car ---- and I've never had another visit.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Laura1229 "I wouldn't have even let the woman in my house, let alone speak to my kids."

Not good advice at all. Of course you let them into the house to talk to the kids. Then they know the acusations are unfounded and move on. If you refuse to let them in they sit in the driveway waiting for the cops to come and arrest you. Then your kids get to stay in foster care unti it's all sorted out.
    You did the right thing. I know it sucks, but try not to worry about it.
    Anonymous