is it tacky???

is it tacky to make the invitations to my daughter's first birthday party? money is tight and i think it might be cheaper. i was thinking about using sticks to decorate the front, then writing the party details inside. or designing them on the computer,t hen printing them. i am also thinking about making some of the decorations myself. i want to save as much money on the party as i can so i can get her a few gifts. is my idea too tacky?

raineslibramom

Asked by raineslibramom at 3:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think its a great idea and it shows you wanted to put more effort/creativity/personal touch twords the party. lets face it, money is tight for just about everyone these days and bday parties get expensive! cut corners where you can! i made my own baby shower invites for my first son on the computer and they turned out cute, plus i got to have them exactly how i wanted them. have fun!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 3:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Of course not!! I don't get it, with the 1st bday, why people feel the need to go all out! I know it's special, of course it is, but that doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune on it!
    I don't think there's anything wrong with making them yourself, maybe get a set of scrap booking stickers and decorations, they'll be super cute!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 3:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I think you can make cute invites. I have made my dd on the computer and I made sleeping bag ones with card stock and fabric once and they were very nice. YOu dont need much to decorate, some streamers would be cheap. Go to dollar tree if you have one. I usually buy solid color plates, maybe a pkg for kids with characters to serve cake on. I make my own cake a save on that too.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• It is a wonderful and creative idea to do it yourself. Not tacky at all.

Answer by Bmat at 3:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• No, it's not tacky. But it may be even cheaper, (and look better) to go to an office store and buy a pack of pretty paper with balloons or flowers on them and just print them yourself or off someone's computer if you dont have a printer. That's what I did. The paper was like $5 for 50 sheets. (office depot or office max)
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My son's first birthday part cost about $20. I made his cake, made his invitations, bought a few decorations, things for on the cake and ice cream, plates, cups and plastic forks. (went with the decorations)

Anonymous

• I think itd be really cool if your crafty very unlike my self...to make the invites match the theme...if you have the items in your house if u have ink in your printer by all means print away!!! no one will ever fault you, atleast you have enough money and are throwing your baby a party...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• NO WAY! I think that is the cutiest idea for a frist birthday party.. More personal and fun too!
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• This is not tacky at all. My sons 1st bday didn't even have invitations. I called everybody and sent emails. One of my friends made the cakes for me (a small one for him and large one for everybody else) and I bought paper plates and a disposable table cloth for him to sit on to dive into his cake. In this economy my theory is save money where you can and put your HEART into. That's what people will remember.
    Miranda0224

Answer by Miranda0224 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I don't think it is tacky to make the invites. It's very creative and a wonderful touch. Another idea is to check your local Dollar Tree. I bought invites for my son's 1st b-day party there (they didn't say 1st b-day but they were still cute). We got like 10 for $1.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2009