Can I take my IUD out?

I'm ready for another baby, but don't have health insurance. With my last pregnancy, I got medicaid, so I know if I get pregnant again I'll get that. But, I have an IUD in and can't go to the doctor to get it out. Can I take it out myself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Uh, no. Its up inside your uterus. There's no way to just reach in and yank it out.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• PP, there are strings outside your cervix that they do pull when taking it out.
    OP, I wouldn't' recommend it. You may damage your cervix or uterus, and then your chances of TTC could go out the window. I don't exactly know all the risks, but, again, I wouldnt' try it myself. It's not like taking stitches out.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 3:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If you have the mirena you sure can...pull the strings and out it comes..my SO took mine out because i couldnt grip the strings to pull it out...best choice i ever made in my life...i hated that thing. if yours doesnt have strings..i dont think so....can you not get medicaid in general to have it removed...if nothing else go to your local health dept. and have them take care of it!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If you have a clinic or PP near you, they should be able to do it at low cost or maybe free.
    If you ARE going to do it yourself, it would be easier to do when you're on your period, when your cervix is softer.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 3:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• no, it's in your uterus. You have to have a doctor open you up and pull it out. It would rip your cervix off if you pulled it out. then you probably wouldnt get pregnant after that. If you cant afford a simple office visit, how are you going to afford a child? Think about it...
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• You want to get pregnant, but you don't have insurance... You don't have insurance, so you can't afford to go to the doctor to get your IUD out, yet you can afford to have another baby... Hmm... Something seems off in all this...
    Anonymous

• I'm sure you can, but I would advise against it. What if you seriously hurt or damaged yourself?? Then what?? If you don't have insurance to have it taken out, then how will you go to the doctor to fix what you mess up by pulling it out yourself?? I'm not trying to be rude, but I think you should put a whole lot of thought into this before you just go pulling things out of your uterus && cervix.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I was very, very tempted to remove mine as well. I would advise against it because your doctor knows the right angle and method do pull it out. They don't jut yank blindly as we would...they know exactly how it works. Even as my doc removed mine I was thinking "I totally could have done that myself." But...at the same time, they do it with ease because they are experts. I wouldn't risk it, although I definitely understand the temptation!!!
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 4:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Did you take out your iud? I had mine inserted less then a month ago and it was hurting so bad I pulled it out (my doctor couldn't see me for another month!) I was fine at first, but the next day until now (3 days later) I am bloating and having pain during sex. I am wondering if I tore something?
    sailorgirl12

Answer by sailorgirl12 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2010